A 60 Dollar K&n Fipk Setup? Yup

26 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_FLYFSHIN_*

Guest_FLYFSHIN_*

Posted 27 May 2004 - 11:21 AM

Ok, so I'll share with you something I found off FSB regarding FIPK setups. There's been a number of discussion strings on K&N's, and I've been holding out. Basically, this will save you 140+ bucks of your hard earned money and give you the same results, and you can make it just as pretty.

Order K & N part number RF-1012. I got mine from http://www.performanceintl.com/ for 53 bucks. Pick up a 1 foot length of 3" aluminum pipe, and 1.5 ft of 5/8" automotive hose from your local autozone. Grab a 5/8" coupler too.

1. Start by tearing the stock airbox out. Leave the twin hoses that originally connected to the airbox in place.

2.Cut the 12" pipe in half. Paint it. Put one 6" section in each of the rubber hoses, and the other ends into the K&N filter. Tighten clamps.

3.Trim and connect the 5/8" hose to the breather using the coupler. Run it into the back of the K&N filter.

4.Start your truck, listen to the nice sucking sound.

5.Rev it up. Listen to the nice sucking sound.

6. Use 12 of the 140 bucks I just saved you to buy a case of beer. Drink it while listening to your truck.

#2 Guest_pooh145_*

Guest_pooh145_*

Posted 27 May 2004 - 12:14 PM

gg on the case of beer :D B)

I will be putting mine on sometime next week! I can't wait

Andy

#3 Ktomek06

Ktomek06

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Lifeguarding, my bronc, and a lot of other stuff.

Posted 27 May 2004 - 04:26 PM

got some pics?

#4 Guest_jfrbronco_*

Guest_jfrbronco_*

Posted 27 May 2004 - 07:43 PM

that sounds way to easy! but those are the things that seem to work the best, some pics would be great.
jfr-

#5 Guest_FLYFSHIN_*

Guest_FLYFSHIN_*

Posted 28 May 2004 - 04:00 AM

I dont have pics of mine yet, but I'll steal the ones off FSB and post them later.

#6 Guest_FLYFSHIN_*

Guest_FLYFSHIN_*

Posted 28 May 2004 - 05:42 AM

Here is the void where the airbox used to be.

Attached Thumbnails

• emptyairbox.jpg

#7 Guest_FLYFSHIN_*

Guest_FLYFSHIN_*

Posted 28 May 2004 - 05:43 AM

Here is the filter (just sitting) and a shot of the breather tube

Attached Thumbnails

• breathertube.jpg

#8 Guest_FLYFSHIN_*

Guest_FLYFSHIN_*

Posted 28 May 2004 - 05:45 AM

Here's a shot of the painted 3" pipes

Attached Thumbnails

• pipes.jpg

#9 Guest_FLYFSHIN_*

Guest_FLYFSHIN_*

Posted 28 May 2004 - 05:46 AM

Here it is all put together. I painted my pipes in ford blue with a silver racing stripe.

Attached Thumbnails

• finished.jpg

#10 Guest_FLYFSHIN_*

Guest_FLYFSHIN_*

Posted 28 May 2004 - 05:50 AM

BTW, that handy black cover on the filter DOES NOT come with the K&N part # I gave earlier. It's an additional part called a DryCharger which keeps the larger contaminantes out of the filter if your doing some really dirty work. It also has some sort of water protectant on it so your filter does not get soaked. You dont really need one unless you intend on wading some deep water or throwing leaves into your engine compartment. Keep in mind that the original airbox tray is still under the K&N filter, so this will keep much of the debris out as it sits.

#11 Guest_Brian_*

Guest_Brian_*

Posted 28 May 2004 - 08:53 AM

Flyfishin, where does your air filter get it's "cold air" from?

#12 Guest_FLYFSHIN_*

Guest_FLYFSHIN_*

Posted 28 May 2004 - 11:22 AM

The same place the FIPK kit does...it does not pull cold air. I dont think I used the word "cold" anywhere in my previous posts. However, if you want a cold air setup, you could probobly figure out a way to use the old intake stuff to route cold air at least past the filter, or better yet, just leave the factory air scoop that runs into the box in place. I, however, was not after a cold air setup, just free breathing for my 5.8. Trust me, this will flow WAY better than the setup that is on the stock bronco, or just a K&N replacement filter for the factory airbox. I honestly dont think anyone makes a true "cold" air setup for the Bronco, at least not to my knowledge. A snorkle may be as close as one can get. Unless anyone knows otherwise...

#13 Ktomek06

Ktomek06

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Lifeguarding, my bronc, and a lot of other stuff.

Posted 29 May 2004 - 05:57 AM

that looks awesome ill have to do that!!

#14 sweepersrgr8

sweepersrgr8

"GET ER DONE"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 10:20 AM

Thanks for the pics...now I know where my F#@$ing jack handle goes!
1989 EB Bronco
351W HO EFI
3 Speed Auto

#15 Guest_Raven_*

Guest_Raven_*

Posted 04 June 2004 - 08:51 PM

here is a trick that help make the system run colder air then stock. When looking at the TB disconnect the 2 hoses that run collent through it to warm up the air this way you will be keeping the air at the same temp as you are pulling it in pretty much not heatting the air at the TB. The other thing I was told was to adjust the timing to 13degrees instead of 10 and should boost an extra 20 hp. Also make sure to tie the 2 hose that you pulloff the tb together so it still makes the loop.

#16 Txquadhunter

Txquadhunter

F-Series Maniac

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 09:12 AM

Since thats a late model shown in the pic. Wonder how easy it would be to install on a 86 EFI since the filter box sets betwee n the intake and brake booster instead of on the inter fender like the others do. But I've got all the ducting and box from a 95 for my planned 351 swap. Might just break out it's ducting and go ahead mount it on inter fender.

I was thinking of just buying 2 of the K&N Cone type filters and mounting them righ to my TB.

#17 Guest_MAX_*

Guest_MAX_*

Posted 06 June 2004 - 06:41 PM

WHERE DID YOU FIND THAT ON FSB I LOOKED BUT COULD NOT FIND IT .

#18 Guest_CyanBloodborne_*

Guest_CyanBloodborne_*

Posted 07 June 2004 - 04:26 AM

WHERE DID YOU FIND THAT ON FSB I LOOKED BUT COULD NOT FIND IT .

K&N Filter Install

#19 Guest_MAX_*

Guest_MAX_*

Posted 10 June 2004 - 01:20 PM

I just installed mine yesterday, it rocks thanks for the tip.

#20 Guest_cowboydan_*

Guest_cowboydan_*

Posted 11 June 2004 - 08:55 PM

i'm going with a stock k+n dropin and running a snorcal up to the roof line. atleast i'll never get the filter soaked.. as soon a i figure how to use this scanner, i'll have some pics

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users