How Hard Is It To Convert A 78 2wd F150 To 4wd?

5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_micky_*

Guest_micky_*

Posted 09 June 2004 - 07:47 PM

how hard is it to convert a 78 2wd f150 to 4wd?

i found this really clean extended cab 2wd f150, and was wondering how hard it would be to convert to 4wd.. would it even be worth doing?

parts for the conversion wouldnt be a problem at all
thx!

#2 Seabronc

Seabronc

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 04:48 AM

As with anything, difficulty is a mushy term. :rolleyes: Anything can be done and the difficulty depends on your present skill level and willingness to learn something new. Then with a little help from your friends, your off :ph34r:

Right off the top of my head, add transfer case, modify or get new rear drive shaft, new front axle with gears to match your rear ones or vice versa, various mods for hookup and function, etc.. Gearing depends on what you want the truck to perform best at plus tire size. You can check the numbers with a little math. Look at Jeff's Bronco Graveyard 80 and above catalog for a neat chart and the formula for selecting gears. The reason is say 80 and above is that I think the chart in the catalog for your year range is messed up, atleast my downloaded copy is :( Any way, the chart and math is the same for all year ranges. Look on page 30. $-)

I sure there must be someone here that has actually done it, and can supply more details. Your local friendly auto recycler would be a good source for the parts, though you probably would need to inspect and rebuild some of it, atleast seals and gaskets Probably with a good Google search you can find an article or two on it.

Sounds like a great project, might as well do a lift while you are at it. Infact you got me a little excited, maybe I'll go out and get me one too. Ruthie would love another project going in the back yard. :-"

GO FOR IT!!!!!

Good luck and let us know how it is progressing. :D/

:)>-

"I know you think you know what I said, but what you need to know is, I did'nt say what I meant"

#3 Txquadhunter

Txquadhunter

F-Series Maniac

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 01:02 PM

IMHP, The 73-79 4wd isn't worth it, they use diffirent frames then there 2wd counter parts. It can be done, just not easy. Look for a 4wd frame for truck is the way to go.

If you where doing a 80+ 2wd-4wd swap there a bolt in swap since they use all the same parts unlike the 70's truck.

#4 Guest_BoltBuster_*

Guest_BoltBuster_*

Posted 10 June 2004 - 03:51 PM

It depends on how mechanic savy you are, what resources you have(junk yards, parts stores,etc), time,funds, tools (torches,welder,grinders,etc)and understanding wife and kids along with not setting a quick to finish goal that will cause burn out or a lawyer to serve divorce papers.

My brothernlaw was consumed with changing one over, he did it and it turned out pretty nice, now it took him awhile and he had good resources and plenty of money and time, but he said he could have bought a FWD in decent condition just as easy, for the time and money spent to build one. Although he said he would never trade the experience.

#5 Seabronc

Seabronc

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 05:02 PM

Hey!! :D What goes across more macho when you are with a group of guys ogling that neat truck? Yah, I built that myself! :D/ or I bought it off some guy on ebay :blush:

:)>-

"I know you think you know what I said, but what you need to know is, I did'nt say what I meant"

#6 davids78bronco

davids78bronco

fabricator extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • Interests:Work all day, and build Bronco accessories in my free time. I've built pre-runner and winch bumpers, rock sliders and rear bumpers, w/ or w/o tire carriers, as well as HD cargo racks (not the bolt-to-your-hardtop POS's)

Posted 19 June 2004 - 08:40 AM

Sometimes, built isn't always better than bought. Consider the costs to buying a 2wd, buying the necessary parts for the conversion, and the time it'll take to make everything fit. Now, consider the cost of buying a 4wd straight up.

I would suggest either buying a 4wd to begin with, or selling to the 2wd in order to buy the 4wd

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users