Autohubs Underwater

13 replies to this topic

#1 Ktomek06

Ktomek06

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Lifeguarding, my bronc, and a lot of other stuff.

Posted 16 June 2004 - 03:47 PM

Will it hurt my 94's auto-locking hubs to be put underwater? My streets were very deep because of the flooding and I was wondering if it would. Is it going to ruin the bearings? Can damage be cause by going through water about a foot and a half deep?
My dad was nagging at me for driving through the deep water in my neighborhood to pull out someone.

#2 sweepersrgr8

sweepersrgr8

"GET ER DONE"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 03:53 PM

No! They are sealed. Tell your dad the Bronc was made to get wet. Although I would be concerned about wet carpet.
1989 EB Bronco
351W HO EFI
3 Speed Auto

#3 Ktomek06

Ktomek06

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 03:54 PM

really? Some guy on FSB told me I need to re-pack my bearings and check my diff fluids for water intrusion.

#4 sweepersrgr8

sweepersrgr8

"GET ER DONE"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 04:15 PM

If your fluids are not leaking, then your seals are good. Look under your truck and see if the breather tube for you diffs are above the water line. if they are, I would say you are good.

I take mine through the water here all the time, and have had no problems...except for having to take the carpet out to dry.

I tore it down for a brake job this weekend, hubs and bearings looked fine.
1989 EB Bronco
351W HO EFI
3 Speed Auto

#5 Ktomek06

Ktomek06

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 04:16 PM

alright thx man!

#6 walkdawg

walkdawg

F-Series Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 04:32 PM

I agree if you did not have any thing leaking before you went throught the water then you should not have any water in there. Your bearings might get some water in there but the grease should repel it from getting to the bearings.
89 Bronco 302 5.0L FI 33x12.5x15 tire. AOD, 3.55 gears slowly upgarding and restoring.

#7 Broncoholics

Broncoholics

Broncoholics

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Interests:4-Wheeling!

Posted 17 June 2004 - 09:23 AM

Here's something to think about, the wheel bearings create heat and will actually suck the cool water inside the hubs. The grease is thick in side hubs so it will not leak out. The axle tubes have seals around the shafts to keep the thick 90 weight gear oil in the carrier, water is much thinner and can get in. 90% of the time you will be OK but I have no oil leaks and still get water inside everyonce in a while. Mostly due to 3' deep water crossings but if I were you I'd take a quick check and pull both hub caps off and pull the diff cover. Plus its nice to repack bearing and replace fluid in the carrier from time to time.
Wheel it like you stole it!

#8 Ktomek06

Ktomek06

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 02:48 PM

Here is how high the water was....any damage?

Attached Thumbnails

• PIC3.jpg

#9 Justshootme84

Justshootme84

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • Interests:4wd trucks, hunting, fishing, music

Posted 23 June 2004 - 08:11 PM

I agree with Broncoholics, you should at least check the hubs and whell bearings along with the diff lube for water intrusion. That water looks rather deep, and some could easily get in thru the breather tubes on the axles if they are stock, or not extended up higher. Try to avoid deep water over your axles next time. When the radio says flash flood warning for Bay City, they mean it!!! How often is it we get 8-10 inches of rain in a day? How about twice this month alone, a week apart!!!
1984 Bronco XLT, 351W H.O., C-6 AT, Ford 9", SkyJ 6" lift, 35" tires on MT Classic rims, S&W Racecars 10-pt cage kit, custom "shaker" assembly.
1988 Bronco Custom, 302 EFI, C-6 AT, Ford 8.8". parting out
1986 Bronco Custom, 300I-6, NP435

#10 Guest_jfrbronco_*

Guest_jfrbronco_*

Posted 23 June 2004 - 08:41 PM

when was the last time you repacked the hub and change the dif fluild? could't hurt to spend a after noon changing them and due you back one too while your under there.Should be changed at 1500 miles I think anyway,new oil won't hurt.
JFR-

#11 Broncoholics

Broncoholics

Broncoholics

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Interests:4-Wheeling!

Posted 24 June 2004 - 07:33 AM

Yeah, thats deep enough to get water in. The rear hub seal can leak fluid into the hub area easily. Also where the axle shaft enters the hub area there should be a small rubber ring seal that almost never gets repalced. Most shops do not carry the seals so knowone ever replaced them after they fall apart. The seal is the same diameter as the axle shaft and installs on the back side of the spindle, so look for it when inside. Check the spindle bearing for wear. If the carrier has water in it, the oil will turn to a thick gray honey and mess up the bearings and you will have to rebuild the gears and bearings. I know from experience. If this is the case then repalce the inner seals in the carrier. Don't use 4x4 until you check the fluid and get a new cover gasket. Do you have a extended air tube off the top of the diff? If not add one and lengthen it to the engine compartment or just under the hood.
Wheel it like you stole it!

#12 Ktomek06

Ktomek06

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 07:37 AM

Heres what Im planning on doing.....

Extending the Breather tubes
Repacking and greasing the bearings
Checking the diff fluid

anything else?

#13 Guest_jfrbronco_*

Guest_jfrbronco_*

Posted 24 June 2004 - 08:03 AM

lift kit,bigger tires,rollcage,headers with true dauls pipes,sas,9" rear,prerunner bumper and a winch!

oh sorry thats my truck
jfr- :))

#14 Guest_ILUVMY89_*

Guest_ILUVMY89_*

Posted 01 July 2004 - 06:54 AM

SIX inch,35's,roll cage, dual flowmasters,headers,custom bumber and winch, Nice system, dvd player, bucket seats, beadlocks, and pearl black paint with candy apple red flames!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

OH wait!! thats MY rig!!!!!! :lol:

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users