Efi Or Carb?

13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_smedic2547_*

Guest_smedic2547_*

Posted 24 June 2004 - 09:24 AM

I have a very tired 5.0 EFI. I just bought a newly rebuilt 5.0 with big cam that is carburated with 2500 miles. Should I keep the carb or rebuild the EFI? I will mostly be street driving or pulling a 3000 lb Travel trailer. I am currently running 37in. tires with a 411 rearend. Any suggestions????? Thanks.

#2 Guest_Natron_*

Guest_Natron_*

Posted 24 June 2004 - 09:33 AM

I had an '84 with a carb, now I have a '95 fuel injection. Just the cost savings in gas makes it worth going fuel injection in my opinion. It works much better at higher elevations also.

#3 4xfan78

4xfan78

F-Series Pimp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  • Interests:Anything Ford prefer 78-79 bronco<br>The bigger the better

Posted 24 June 2004 - 09:43 AM

I agree if you can go with fuel injection with little cost I would throw the carb in the trash. Too bad they dont have efi for 400m's. :((
GOT MUD?

#4 Txquadhunter

Txquadhunter

F-Series Maniac

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 11:03 AM

you don't state the year of your Bronco. But yes a EFI system is much better then a Carb'd rig. If your Bronco is new enough to have the MAF EFI system they'll easily work well with big cams and upgrades to a point. The SD system will allow ease of cam upgrades and such to about 20% more.

try www.fordfuelinjection.com for lots of info over it.

#5 Guest_Gunner_*

Guest_Gunner_*

Posted 24 June 2004 - 11:28 AM

CARBBED UP!!!!!!! wouldnt trade my carb in if someone offered to give me fi and install it for free. i love my carberator and unless you have a lot of money i suggest you start liking it to. to convert a carbbed engine costs a pretty penny.

#6 Shadow_D

Shadow_D

F-Series Pimp

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1999

Posted 24 June 2004 - 02:58 PM

You say you already have the EFI in your truck but the new motor is setup with a carb, right?If that is the case then KEEP THE EFI!
You may want to replace the injectors and will want a top end gasket set. Also you should throughly clean the plenum inside and out.
Fuel mileage is a big deal now, next year they say the cost of a gallon of regular unleaded will be around $3.00 & I will be willing to bet any amount of money that the following year it will be between $3.50 & $4.00 per gallon, my guess is it will be closer to $4.00 which INHO it total Horse $h!%.
90 Bronco Full Size
Police Package
351W
E4OD
31" Tires
Going through a complete restore

http://fullsizebronc...ail.php?id=1650

#7 freak

freak

F-Series Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 11:00 AM

Carb all the way.

#8 Seabronc

Seabronc

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 01:29 PM

Keep the EFI. Converting to a carb from an EFI would basicly require trashing your existing computer and harne3ss and getting a harness and computer for a carb.

I happen to have a carbed 351 but wouldn't convert to a EFI for the sane reason you shouldn't convert to a carb. That is assuming that fuel economy :lol: if there realy is such a thing in a Bronco, is your goal.

I love a carb and wouldn't convert even if I had an EFI setup.

Good luck,

:)>-

"I know you think you know what I said, but what you need to know is, I did'nt say what I meant"

#9 Guest_cowboydan_*

Guest_cowboydan_*

Posted 29 June 2004 - 08:48 PM

i have a 5.0 with 305,000kms. gave her a lil' tune and i have no power problems. i don't think carb is a good trade cause o fule eco, but carbs always step out and need constant tuning, jetting and if you go to the mountains the thin air hurts carbs way worse than efi

#10 hawk2100n

hawk2100n

F-Series Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 06:41 PM

the design of EFI does get more torque and fuel efficency than a carb but EFI is much harder to tune being that everything is controlled by a computer. carbs are easier to tune and also provide more flexibility for upgrades in the engine.

P.S. because this is such a popular subject, we should add a dedicated section in the how to formus about this subject.

#11 Guest_Gunner_*

Guest_Gunner_*

Posted 01 July 2004 - 07:59 AM

this isnt in the HOW TO topic guidelines. thios is people talking about whether or not they should do it. the HOW TO is for someone who actually did it.

#12 4xfan78

4xfan78

F-Series Pimp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  • Interests:Anything Ford prefer 78-79 bronco<br>The bigger the better

Posted 01 July 2004 - 08:34 AM

Good point Gunner.
GOT MUD?

#13 Guest_207racing_*

Guest_207racing_*

Posted 09 July 2004 - 05:39 AM

Ok, for those of you that have removed efi for the choice of a carb. Obviously you have to replace the high pressure inline pump with a low pressure one, would you disconnect it, or leave it in place and running?

Reason I ask is I just got the EFI put back on and I have rough idle when cold and wont start when hot for about 10 minutes after you shut it off. I just tested the tank pump and it isn't running. I am hoping it is disconnected somewhere.

#14 Guest_custom_78_*

Guest_custom_78_*

Posted 09 July 2004 - 08:11 AM

I agree if you can go with fuel injection with little cost I would throw the carb in the trash. Too bad they dont have efi for 400m's. :((

4xfan78, you can buy an aftermarket system and adapt to the 400m. My dad jut put a BDS fuel injection on a #51 windsor braket racing motor with the bug catcher type throttle body. It may be a little epensive but it can be done.

I would also go for the EFI instead of the carb.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users