Edlebrock Performer

14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Saint351_*

Guest_Saint351_*

Posted 02 July 2004 - 03:29 PM

Latley I have started to think about getting a carb and i was thinking about getting the edlebrock performer 600cfm electric choke because it claims to be user friendly and reliable with good performance. I have the 351 h.o motor in my 85 and I was just wondering if anyone else has put that carb on that motor and how well it worked.

saint351

#2 Justshootme84

Justshootme84

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • Interests:4wd trucks, hunting, fishing, music

Posted 02 July 2004 - 03:36 PM

That carb should be fine for you. I have the manual choke 600cfm (EDL#1405) on my 85 Chevy 350V8. Right now I have a reman. Holley 600cfm (HLY#4180) on my Bronco with a Pereformer intake. I plan to swap the carb for an Edelbrock soon. You will need to adapt the kickdown linkage for the auto tranny if you have one.
1984 Bronco XLT, 351W H.O., C-6 AT, Ford 9", SkyJ 6" lift, 35" tires on MT Classic rims, S&W Racecars 10-pt cage kit, custom "shaker" assembly.
1988 Bronco Custom, 302 EFI, C-6 AT, Ford 8.8". parting out
1986 Bronco Custom, 300I-6, NP435

#3 Seabronc

Seabronc

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 04:28 PM

My 83 had an edlebroc performer intake manafold and Holly 600 CFM carb on my 351 when I purchased it. The linkage was such a cob job I took both off and went back to a stock ford 4bbl intake and Ford Holley. It runs better now than it ever did with the edlebrock holley combo, not sure which holley it was but the throttle plate linkage was a nightmare. I probably have the kick down rod you need as it is shorter than the one that goes with the stock setup. Also have the edlebroc intake setting in the gartage if you are interested. The outside of it is dirty but just needs cleanup. I'm sure my experience is due to someone that didn't really know what he was doing and cobbing it together. All I can say is that it has never run better and with more reserve power than it does now.

Good luck,

"I know you think you know what I said, but what you need to know is, I did'nt say what I meant"

#4 indoz

indoz

F-Series Mechanic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 04:58 PM

Try it without the kickdown bar, I took mine out quite a while ago and have no problems with gear changes, I have 19* of vacuum at idle.
Henk from Oz

#5 Seabronc

Seabronc

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 05:47 PM

Edlebroc Performer

"I know you think you know what I said, but what you need to know is, I did'nt say what I meant"

#6 sweepersrgr8

sweepersrgr8

"GET ER DONE"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 08:04 PM

I am not sure...but doesn't the Eldelbrock carbs have the AFB Carter(quadrajet) spread bore bolt pattern?
1989 EB Bronco
351W HO EFI
3 Speed Auto

#7 Guest_Saint351_*

Guest_Saint351_*

Posted 05 July 2004 - 08:56 PM

how much you want for that intake?

#8 Seabronc

Seabronc

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 02:31 AM

The one in the picture had a Holley mounted on it. A standard 4bbl Holley 600 CFM or the Ford Holley 4bbl will fit on this one. Not sure about the Edelbrock carb bolt pattern.

:)>-

#9 4xfan78

4xfan78

F-Series Pimp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  • Interests:Anything Ford prefer 78-79 bronco<br>The bigger the better

Posted 06 July 2004 - 06:06 AM

The edelbrock carb should fit that intake just fine. The only problem I have heard of is that edelbrock carbs willnot fit chevy's but who really care's about there problems. :P
GOT MUD?

#10 Broncoholics

Broncoholics

Broncoholics

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Interests:4-Wheeling!

Posted 06 July 2004 - 07:34 AM

The Edelbrock is a good road runner but runs badly off road. Any tilt to the vehicle, the float on the tilted side is flooded and the other side is empty.

I found the Q-Jet is a good off road carb & runs at any angle. The float bowl is in the center. They used these for many boats back in the day. The large secondaries of the Q-jet really sucks the gas though. I notice 3/4 throttle is full throttle. Anymore gas applied it floods out. Perhaps I need a larger cam! :huh:
Wheel it like you stole it!

#11 4xfan78

4xfan78

F-Series Pimp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  • Interests:Anything Ford prefer 78-79 bronco<br>The bigger the better

Posted 06 July 2004 - 09:02 AM

I guess it depends on what its on and how its adjusted because thats all I have ever had on my 4x4's and I have never had any trouble like that.
GOT MUD?

#12 Guest_Saint351_*

Guest_Saint351_*

Posted 06 July 2004 - 11:10 AM

A little trick that i heard for keeping you carb running at any angle is get a fuel line or even a break line and run it like they do on the truck avenger carbs over the top of the carb

never tried it but a friend of mine said he did it with his 83 and it worked fine

#13 hawk2100n

hawk2100n

F-Series Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 06:28 PM

edelbrock bolt patterns are the same as stock except for some of the higher performance setups. check the website and browse the specs for compatibility.

#14 Justshootme84

Justshootme84

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • Interests:4wd trucks, hunting, fishing, music

Posted 07 July 2004 - 08:50 PM

SeaBronc, that is a good intake, and I think your problems were definitely carb-related. The Performer intake I have is a stock replacement, and it has only one vacuum port instead of two. Some mechanical knowledge and engineering was needed to block off certain lines that may run to smog equipment or accessories. You can split the lines to keep all of this stuff, but let's just say I no longer use my cruise control. There are some lines crucial to carb operation and vacuum advance on the distributor. A diagram helps if you can get your hands on one! Most of the ported vacuum fittings were broken or non-functional when I bought my Bronco, and any leaks will hurt performance.
1984 Bronco XLT, 351W H.O., C-6 AT, Ford 9", SkyJ 6" lift, 35" tires on MT Classic rims, S&W Racecars 10-pt cage kit, custom "shaker" assembly.
1988 Bronco Custom, 302 EFI, C-6 AT, Ford 8.8". parting out
1986 Bronco Custom, 300I-6, NP435

#15 Seabronc

Seabronc

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 03:34 AM

I agree, the intake manafold was not the problem. The carb instalation was a real cob job. Also, there wasn't a single ported vacuum fitting on it, only the spark advance. I replaced it mainly so I could put all the controls back on it. Without them I had to babysit the truck for 20 minutes in the winter to let it warm up before it would move. It is now back to an 85 351W 4bbl configuration. I had to build the vacuum system myself from a calibration chart.

:)>-

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users