79 Bronco Needs Help

21 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_brando__32_*

Guest_brando__32_*

Posted 22 July 2004 - 05:36 PM

well i got a used 79 bronco thats in fine shape i guess but i want it as a bogger and i well jsut get another one for the road but i need soem ides for the off roader ;)

#2 Ktomek06

Ktomek06

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Lifeguarding, my bronc, and a lot of other stuff.

Posted 22 July 2004 - 05:41 PM

Post us some pics and setup a gallery...it will give us a visual

Id say get a lift, tires, wheels, gears, the list goes on..it all depends on how much you will mud and how big you want to go

#3 Guest_brando__32_*

Guest_brando__32_*

Posted 22 July 2004 - 05:49 PM

well i am new at this site so i need to know how do get the pictures on this site or els ei well get some pictures of it

#4 davids78bronco

davids78bronco

fabricator extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • Interests:Work all day, and build Bronco accessories in my free time. I've built pre-runner and winch bumpers, rock sliders and rear bumpers, w/ or w/o tire carriers, as well as HD cargo racks (not the bolt-to-your-hardtop POS's)

Posted 22 July 2004 - 07:17 PM

Huked on foniks werks! Seriously, take a minute, to do some spell checking

What you're asking for will get you as many different answers as there are types of offroading
good luck

#5 Guest_brando__32_*

Guest_brando__32_*

Posted 22 July 2004 - 07:42 PM

thanks for that spell check shit but how do i get picks on here like u guys got it on here

#6 Guest_BLUEovalBELIEVER_*

Guest_BLUEovalBELIEVER_*

Posted 22 July 2004 - 09:17 PM

i would tell you to ask someone that has some pics but it looks like they would rather teach you to spell
email the admin

#7 Guest_broncoshell_*

Guest_broncoshell_*

Posted 23 July 2004 - 04:32 AM

Hey David, Why don't you add Foniks to your list of things for sale???

#8 Guest_BLUEovalBELIEVER_*

Guest_BLUEovalBELIEVER_*

Posted 24 July 2004 - 10:48 PM

why don't you help a guy when he asks for it instead of being a punk about it,anyone can pick on people over the net so what's the use?doesn't make you a man or cool.answer him or just shut up

#9 Guest_brando__32_*

Guest_brando__32_*

Posted 25 July 2004 - 06:18 PM

thanx man for the help and not saying anything bad but ya and i am not the oldest either so i am new and need help but thanx for the help kinda one the pic thingy

#10 4xfan78

4xfan78

F-Series Pimp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  • Interests:Anything Ford prefer 78-79 bronco<br>The bigger the better

Posted 26 July 2004 - 04:22 AM

Hey David I think you made a new friend :P
GOT MUD?

#11 Guest_brando__32_*

Guest_brando__32_*

Posted 26 July 2004 - 06:53 PM

dude so whats the problem with that at least he is helping people not jsut saynig dumb things

#12 Guest_custom_78_*

Guest_custom_78_*

Posted 27 July 2004 - 08:29 AM

To pst a picture you have to have a jpg image then go to photoshop and make it 600x 450 is the max size. After the picture size is right you go to the post reply page and at the bottom it has a file attachments section. Click on the Browse botton and look for your picture. When you find your picture double click it and then hit submit reply, your picture should be there.

#13 Txquadhunter

Txquadhunter

F-Series Maniac

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 01:00 PM

To give you a some what idea. Since your Bronco is stock it'll have the D44 front, 9" rear. With that running gear really 35" tires is max. you could go bigger but breakage is far more likely.

With your setup, I'd go 4" lift or trim fenders to put a set of 35" tires of your choice. Then you'll need to figure out your gearing while the stock 3.50 ratio can pull them you'll put stress else where. So around 4.56 ratio will do. while your regearing you'll need to figure out to lock or not. I'd drop a good Locker in the rear. A good L/S or selcetable locker in the front. A fully locked front can and will break shafts and u-joints. also a Winch if ya can afford to get one after rest. This setup will get you a good taste of offroading for a starter.

If you want to go big right off. Swap the D44 for a D60 Front, Drop the 9" for a D70 or Sterlin 10.25. Loose the 351m/400 For a built 460. 5.13 gears, locked front/rear 44" Bogger's. Keep lift to about 6" trim fenders to clear the rest. The mud holes would wish they'd never met ya!.

Like stated so many ways to build it's hard to say. But for starting mudders/trail riders the first is a good start.

#14 Guest_brando__32_*

Guest_brando__32_*

Posted 27 July 2004 - 06:39 PM

ok thats cool but my bronco isn't in the best shape so my plan first is kinda get my body re done and my fenders are cut and i got an set of old 36" buckshot mudders radcial and ya i was thinknig of moving down to 35" ALT and addin ga 4" lift but man i need money bad because i am broke for lieik kinda repairnig the back end becaus ei am 15 only so i don't have much money

#15 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*

Posted 28 July 2004 - 05:33 AM

ok thats cool but my bronco isn't in the best shape so my plan first is kinda get my body re done and my fenders are cut and i got an set of old 36" buckshot mudders radcial and ya i was thinknig of moving down to 35" ALT and addin ga 4" lift but man i need money bad because i am broke for lieik kinda repairnig the back end becaus ei am 15 only so i don't have much money

Question here? If your goin to use the Bronco as a mud truck, Why bother with re-doing the body? rust, dent-free and new paint won't help it none offroad. It'll just have ya cussin all the time when ya dent or scratch it up offroad.

Go to a few mud bog's and trail ride places. 99.9% of the time the ugliest most beat up rig you see will out mud and all over the nicely done up rigs.

Always start with your Drivetrain work first. get it sound and the way you want it. Then worry about paint and stuff. I'd prefer to drive down the road in beat up rust bucket with a sound drivetrain. Then looking at a nicely painted up rig settin in the yard ya can't drive besause the motor, tranny ect. is shot.

Your still young you'll learn looks ain't as important as what under the hood and such.

Why'd i show as quest? hmmm

#16 Guest_custom_78_*

Guest_custom_78_*

Posted 28 July 2004 - 09:42 AM

I agree, why make it all pretty if your going to thrash it muddin. If you don't go muddin very much than I say to clean it and make it nice.

#17 Broncoholics

Broncoholics

Broncoholics

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Interests:4-Wheeling!

Posted 28 July 2004 - 12:55 PM

The first mod should be a roll cage even though you have a hard top. Safety should be first! I went about it backwards, did up the suspension (3.5", 2" body), gears (5:89), tires (38.5"SX's) then after I tipped her over (softly) I decided the rear bed roll bar isn't enough. I thought back to all the times when I was in a hairy spot on the trail with a rear roll bar only. :-" Now I run a 10 point cage welded to the frame! ;) Things will come in time, you're still young and have lots of hard work ahead of you to get what you want. :blink:
Wheel it like you stole it!

#18 Guest_brando__32_*

Guest_brando__32_*

Posted 28 July 2004 - 02:31 PM

ok so thoguht what should i start with now because u guys are sayimng all this stuff but for a beginner what shoudl i start out with thoguht

#19 Broncoholics

Broncoholics

Broncoholics

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Interests:4-Wheeling!

Posted 28 July 2004 - 08:31 PM

Oh.... I'd get some 35" Swamper Boggers to be practical.
If you really want a mud runner get the 39x18.5 Boggers in the rear and cut out all the small tread blocks so its more of a paddle tire. The front can take a skinny bogger like a 39x11.5, don't forget the detroit lockers and 6:12 gears!
Wheel it like you stole it!

#20 Guest_custom_78_*

Guest_custom_78_*

Posted 28 July 2004 - 08:36 PM

Thats pretty extreme. I'm 15 and am working on my own 78 Bronco. You can check mine out here.My Bronco

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users