6" Lift For A 95

22 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_andydic_*

Guest_andydic_*

Posted 26 July 2004 - 09:59 AM

How easy is it to put a six in lift on a 95 bronco? I have never done a lift before. I have everything I need. Now I just need some guidance(what to expect, how long it will take, etc...)

#2 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*

Posted 26 July 2004 - 08:13 PM

most people ive talked to say they will never do a suspension lift again. thats all i know.

#3 bluesman17

bluesman17

F-Series Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 08:14 PM

forgot to log in sorry about that

#4 Justshootme84

Justshootme84

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • Interests:4wd trucks, hunting, fishing, music

Posted 26 July 2004 - 08:49 PM

Most shops will charge $450-$500 to install it, and it's worth every penny IMHO. It is not as complicated as an engine or tranny overhaul, but it will take a weekend to do for a "first-timer". The rear axle is very simple, just add blocks under the leaf springs or replace with lifted packs, add longer shocks, and check the pinion angle for the driveshaft. Most blocks are tapered to keep the ds angle near "0" degrees to keep from eating ujoints.
The front axle is the fun part, seems like every bolt has Loctite on it from the factory. You will need a Pitman arm puller, and may even need to heat the stock arm to remove it. You will be installing a "dropped" Pitman arm for the steering, longer coil springs and shocks, axle pivot dropdown brackets, and either drop down brackets for the stock radius arms or extended arms which require re-locating the bracket mounts further back. Removing the stock bolts may be easier if you soak them with PB or penetrating oil for a couple of days, and air tools or a long cheater bar will help. The hard part will be lining up the brackets and their bolts, as everything has now moved from before. Use at least two floor jacks, jack stands for SAFETY, and a come-along if you have one. This is the best time to replace the factory suspension bushings with new ones or polyurethane bushings. Then go straight to get an alignment done on the front end, as the camber, caster, and toe-in will be way off.
It took a shop 3 days to install the lift on my 84 Bronco, due to stubborn, rusted bolts. I knew it would be rough, as I have lifted a few TTB trucks in the past. It will not be as bad on your 95, but the front axle weighs about 500 lbs. Get a couple of strong buddies to help you if you decide to tackle it.
1984 Bronco XLT, 351W H.O., C-6 AT, Ford 9", SkyJ 6" lift, 35" tires on MT Classic rims, S&W Racecars 10-pt cage kit, custom "shaker" assembly.
1988 Bronco Custom, 302 EFI, C-6 AT, Ford 8.8". parting out
1986 Bronco Custom, 300I-6, NP435

#5 Guest_andydic_*

Guest_andydic_*

Posted 27 July 2004 - 02:46 AM

thanks justshootme

#6 Guest_andydic_*

Guest_andydic_*

Posted 27 July 2004 - 04:41 AM

what bushings do i need? WHere can I buy a good set?

#7 Justshootme84

Justshootme84

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 07:49 PM

The front axle has the following bushings:
1. radius arms. the end that bolts to the frame bracket has one on each side of the bracket.
2. axle pivot points. the end of the axle half or i-beam has a pressed-in bushing/sleeve assembly. You will need a special tool or "equivalent" to remove these, and the same tool to install the new ones.
3.optional would be tie rod end boots and rear spring eye bushings. All of mine were dry-rotted and worn out. In your case, I would at least replace the front suspension units, items 1 & 2.

I suggest the poly ones if you plan to keep the rig for a few years, as they will last longer than the rubber ones. They will firm up the ride, but still flex with the suspension. I bought a complete set including body mount bushings made by Daystar for $200 from Rocky Mountain Suspension, www.rockymountainsusp.com The radius arm bushings are $20 and the APB's are $25 for a set.
1984 Bronco XLT, 351W H.O., C-6 AT, Ford 9", SkyJ 6" lift, 35" tires on MT Classic rims, S&W Racecars 10-pt cage kit, custom "shaker" assembly.

#8 Guest_truckdriva_*

Guest_truckdriva_*

Posted 02 August 2004 - 08:31 PM

just put one on my 87 fullsize. the biggest piece of advice i can give is get a cutting torch! all of the stock bracketry is held on by steel rivots that have to be cut out. a torch will also come in handy for those long-winded u-bolts

#9 Guest_andydic_*

Guest_andydic_*

Posted 03 August 2004 - 10:03 AM

Did you take off the brackets right behind the radius arm brackets? I'm not sure if I'm supposed too? I've been working on it for 3 days. I'm almost done with the front. It's been the biggest pain in my A$$.

#10 Guest_truckdriva_*

Guest_truckdriva_*

Posted 05 August 2004 - 05:32 PM

the only brackets you should have back there are the radius arm brackets

#11 Guest_andydic_*

Guest_andydic_*

Posted 09 August 2004 - 04:03 AM

I finally finished the lift after 5 days of working on it. It sucked. I will never do one again. It handles like crap now. The steering feels all screwed up. Any recommendations?

#12 Justshootme84

Justshootme84

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 07:47 PM

"Then go straight to get an alignment done on the front end, as the camber, caster and toe-in will be way off". Someone posted that already.

Remember that you saved $500 on labor, that should buy a few aspirin for the pain and bandaids for the fingers. CHeck all of the bolts you worked on after a few hundred miles and then every few months. They tend to work loose until everything settles in.

#13 Guest_andydic_*

Guest_andydic_*

Posted 10 August 2004 - 02:28 AM

i got an alignment done, and the put on some camber bolts. It cost 220 dollars and they did a crap job. my steering wheel is still about 30 degrees to the left so i'm going to take it back today. At first they told me it would be easy to do it, then after everything was said and done, they came back and said that it's my fault its not perfect casue they could only align it to factory specs. It's kind of funny since everyone else I know whose installed a lift, went and got it alligned and didn't have a problem.

#14 Shadow_D

Shadow_D

F-Series Pimp

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1999

Posted 10 August 2004 - 07:03 PM

It might be the shop you went to. I am finding most shops around here can't do an alignment on a lifted (or lowered for that mater) vehicle because they are not set up for it. I only found one place locally and they want anywhere from $50 - $150 to do it.
You need to be sure the shop can handle a lifted truck before you bring it to them.
90 Bronco Full Size
Police Package
351W
E4OD
31" Tires
Going through a complete restore

http://fullsizebronc...ail.php?id=1650

#15 Guest_andydic_*

Guest_andydic_*

Posted 11 August 2004 - 02:49 AM

The tech came out and looked at it and said I quote" This will be no problem at all". Then i get a call 3 hours alter saying they had to put camber bolts on or it was going to be tilted in about 1.5 degrees. Then I go to pick it up and the tech once again said" This will drive better than when it came offf the showroom floor". That was a bunch of BS

#16 Shadow_D

Shadow_D

F-Series Pimp

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1999

Posted 11 August 2004 - 05:34 PM

Well I guess if I was in your area I would never go there. Even if my truck was not safe to drive I'd find another shop somewhere else.
90 Bronco Full Size
Police Package
351W
E4OD
31" Tires
Going through a complete restore

http://fullsizebronc...ail.php?id=1650

#17 Justshootme84

Justshootme84

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 07:33 PM

If your canber is set , the caster can still be so far off that the steering wheel is not centered or won't return to center. Any "competent' alignment man will know this, so I would raise H.E. double L with the shop or the foreman. In my case, with the 6" lift and the stock radius arms and drop brackets, it would be impossible to get the correct caster, and my alignment guy told me so. With the extended arms, all he needed to do was change to the correct camber bushings. The Bronco drives straighter than stock now with 35's. Point is, it can be done, the dude just needs to know his stuff for lifted TTB axles.

#18 Guest_andydic_*

Guest_andydic_*

Posted 12 August 2004 - 02:48 AM

Thanks justshootme. I plan on raising some serious hell when i take it back up there today. I also bought some extended brackets for my sway bar and put it back on last night. That also made it drive much better. Do they make disconnects for Broncos? I've only seen them for jeeps.

#19 Justshootme84

Justshootme84

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 08:35 PM

I think there is a quick-disconnect for the front for Broncos (expensive, though), check one of the 4WD magazine sites, like 4Wheel&OFFfroad. The rear one will also be in a bind, with no extension kit that i know of for lifted trucks. I simply removed both the front and rear sway bars from my Bronco after the lift, with little or no noticeable effect on the ride or handling.

#20 Guest_andydic_*

Guest_andydic_*

Posted 13 August 2004 - 02:44 AM

I got my alignment redone yesterday. Its drives a hell of alot better. I went in there raised some hell and was out with a aligned bronco in 30 min.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users