85 And 86 Transmissions

2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_igmoman_*

Guest_igmoman_*

Posted 02 August 2004 - 03:12 PM

i jst purchased a 85 and my son bought an 86 bronco. the 86 trans needs to be replace r these two swappable. mine is good and would like to give it to him for right now...thanks

#2 Guest_404PageNotFound_*

Guest_404PageNotFound_*

Posted 02 August 2004 - 03:54 PM

as long as they're the same transmission, yes... assuming they're both C6 transmissions, you could swap them in and out.

check to see what kind of trans. they are. i'm not too familiar with the older broncos.

#3 Justshootme84

Justshootme84

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • Interests:4wd trucks, hunting, fishing, music

Posted 02 August 2004 - 08:06 PM

Even if the two trannies are different models, you can swap one for the other. Not a direct bolt-on in all cases, but doable. First thing is to I.D. both models. There is a code on the driver's-side door jamb, or you can look at the pan on the bottom. If either model has overdrive, it will be the AOD.

No overdrive is a C-6, the code is "K", and the pan will have a notch in one corner. While you're at it, I.D. the transfer case, too. Some models in the same year had different ones in the mid-80's. They will all bolt up to the various transmissions, but the shifter linkage changed from one to the next. The NP208 has a smooth case, while the Borg-Warner models have a bunch of fins or slots in the case.

Both the 85 and 86 should have a Ford 8.8" rear axle, but the driveshaft may be a different length, depending on the tranny.
1984 Bronco XLT, 351W H.O., C-6 AT, Ford 9", SkyJ 6" lift, 35" tires on MT Classic rims, S&W Racecars 10-pt cage kit, custom "shaker" assembly.
1988 Bronco Custom, 302 EFI, C-6 AT, Ford 8.8". parting out
1986 Bronco Custom, 300I-6, NP435

Reply to this topic

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users