Shifting

4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Ray Crawford_*

Guest_Ray Crawford_*

Posted 03 August 2004 - 07:21 AM

[FONT=Arial]

I have a 1992 Bronco and one day I was driving along and the odometer stopped working. Shortly the truck would not shift right. What is it?

#2 Broncoholics

Broncoholics

Broncoholics

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Interests:4-Wheeling!

Posted 03 August 2004 - 09:38 AM

Oh man, it sounds like the cable came out of the transfer case. It is usually held in there with a screw or bolt. If it came out you might have lost some fluid which is making it shift funny. But an auto tranny is separate of the t-case with its own fluid so maybe not. You better get under there and look, its the only thing I can think of... :unsure:
Wheel it like you stole it!

#3 Justshootme84

Justshootme84

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • Interests:4wd trucks, hunting, fishing, music

Posted 03 August 2004 - 06:34 PM

I think the 92-96 Broncos uses a VSS (vehicle speed sensor), which will affect tranny operation. The VSS is located inside the rear differential, so check the wiring . I had this item go out on my 98 Z-71 last month, and it also killed my ABS (no brakes!).
1984 Bronco XLT, 351W H.O., C-6 AT, Ford 9", SkyJ 6" lift, 35" tires on MT Classic rims, S&W Racecars 10-pt cage kit, custom "shaker" assembly.
1988 Bronco Custom, 302 EFI, C-6 AT, Ford 8.8". parting out
1986 Bronco Custom, 300I-6, NP435

#4 Guest_truckdriva_*

Guest_truckdriva_*

Posted 03 August 2004 - 06:53 PM

the speedo cable has a metal gear on the end of it that sticks into the transmission. pull the cable out and make sure the gear is still there. if not, it has probably been ground up by the trans and will be stuck to the end of your transmission sensors, which are magnetized. this could be why your transmission is shifting funny

#5 Guest_Ray Crawford_*

Guest_Ray Crawford_*

Posted 04 August 2004 - 08:18 AM

Thanks for your help I will check it out.

Reply to this topic

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users