93 5.8 Overheats @ Idle In Hot Weather

5 replies to this topic

#1 DragonDave

DragonDave

F-Series Mechanic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Interests:1992 Bronco Custom 5.8L Pro Comp Stage II 6" 35x12.50R15 Pro Comp Mudders. FlowMaster Cat Back w/3" pipe. (Still Under Construction!)<--rolled this one-->Gots a 93 Xlt now!

Posted 17 August 2004 - 11:34 AM

Well I actually currently own two Broncos a 92 Custom & a 93 XLT. Both are autos and 5.8s. I have noticed when I am out in warm weather say 90-100 degrees while at idle both of my broncos start to run hot & close or at overheat sometimes within 15 mins or so. Just a small recap the cooling systems, they are in good shape both with recently new radiators & stock temp thermostats which are flowng well with 50/50 coolant. There is also no leaks in the cooling systems. I am assuming both fan clutches are good since I find it hard for two to be bad at once on both trucks. As soon as I get moving either via driving or more rpm they both seem to cool down to normal. I kinda suspect the stock fan might not flow enough air at idle. I've heard there are some fan assemblies out there that are made to flow more air via different blade configurations etc. I also considered an extra elec cooling fan till I looked & found one won't have any room to mount. I do alot of high desert off road here in So. Cal. I would appreciate any input/suggestions any of you might have. Thanks! :D/

#2 sweepersrgr8

sweepersrgr8

"GET ER DONE"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 01:09 PM

Assuming the truck is not boiling over when you say "overheat". The stock fan is not up to par in that kind of heat for long periods at idle.

Check out FLEXALITE's site, you can add a push type fan to the front of the radiator, you may just have to relocate your aux coolers. They also make a 16" electric fan w/shroud that replaces your existing fan, and shroud. this would free up some drag also.

You can also try switching to a higher pressure cap to see if this remedies your problem.
1989 EB Bronco
351W HO EFI
3 Speed Auto

#3 hawk2100n

hawk2100n

F-Series Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 04:31 PM

definately go with an electric fan if you think it is necessary. by the way do you overheat in traffic or something? traffic is hardest on a cooling system because all of those cars are each generating 1000's of btu's and the external ambiant temp can reach over 150 on a hot day. but as for electric fans, they are such a superior system over the standard clutched fans. the free us shaft horse power and many install with only tye-wraps. the hardest part would be getting your old fan off. i have been considering electrics but havent had money,(all goes to gas). definately reccomend electric.

#4 Seabronc

Seabronc

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 04:50 PM

Ypumight also want to look into putting a larger radiator in.

Good luck,

:)>-

"I know you think you know what I said, but what you need to know is, I did'nt say what I meant"

#5 Guest_Bronco_In_Ny_*

Guest_Bronco_In_Ny_*

Posted 23 August 2004 - 06:12 AM

you might want to try a product from redline called weter water its great stuff, If you go for a bigger Radiator go with a 460 Big block Radiator that will more then likly solve your probs unless you have a internal Prob with your motor.

#6 dicain

dicain

It's Only Money, Right?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 05:28 PM

i have a 90 bronc with ac and a extra tranny cooler and my stock fan works fine. maybe your radiator is plugged up with dust or mud. sometimes, too, due to the age of your vehicles, your water pump maybe worn out.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users