89b2 Adjusting The Slop Out Of The Steering

14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_froggy47_*

Guest_froggy47_*

Posted 26 September 2004 - 03:44 PM

All the rest is in good shape (alignment, front end, ball joints etc.) I can take the steering col in my hand - engine off - and turn the col (and steering wheel of course) about 5 to 10 degrees (maybe 1 to 1.25 inch at the wheel) and NOTHING happens.

I know this is fairly normal for an 89 w/ 150k miles on the original steering system, BUT, I wondering & trying to clean it up a little by adjusting the screw on the top of the steering box.

I took it about 3/4 turn & drove it. It felt a little better maybe (or maybe it's my imagination?).

I'm going to go another 1/2 turn & drive it again.

Is this going to help at all or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails

• _0026.jpg

#2 Guest_froggy47_*

Guest_froggy47_*

Posted 26 September 2004 - 05:06 PM

I went about 2 turns and lost all "self centering" on the steering. You turn the wheel left it stays left! Same with right.

Going to set back to orig. & see if anyone posts.

What is that adj. screw supposed to do?

Thanks.

#3 Broncoholics

Broncoholics

Broncoholics

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Interests:4-Wheeling!

Posted 27 September 2004 - 08:54 AM

Seems odd. The adjustment screw should take the slop out of the worn gears in the box. You don't want it very tight otherwise it wears out the gears even quicker.
1.25" doesn't seem that bad if thats from all the way left to right. If its 1.25 in both directions 2.5" total then it might need a rebuild some day if the adjustment screw doesn't help. Did you check the tie-rods while turning the wheel back and forth?
Wheel it like you stole it!

#4 Guest_Guest_Froggy47_*

Guest_Guest_Froggy47_*

Posted 27 September 2004 - 09:44 AM

Hi Bronco,

Thanks for the post.

The free play at the steering wheel is about 1.5 inches TOTAL left to right swing.

As I said, with this many miles & the mechanics of that steering box I do expect some free play, I'm just trying to "tune out" as much as I can.

Am I going in the correct direction - turning the screw in or clockwise to take the play out?

I "heard" on some cars (Mercedes?) that it's the opposite of what your intuition would tell you.

It may be as good as it gets, without rebuilding the box. :)

#5 Guest_froggy47_*

Guest_froggy47_*

Posted 27 September 2004 - 02:15 PM

Tie rods good:)

#6 Guest_froggy47_*

Guest_froggy47_*

Posted 27 September 2004 - 05:22 PM

Anyone have a factory service manual for 89 ish B2? It's probably the same the year b4 & after. Could you tell me how that adjustment works?

Thanks!

#7 Guest_froggy47_*

Guest_froggy47_*

Posted 28 September 2004 - 10:16 AM

Adjustment procedure for 89 b2 steering box, last chance:)

Thanks!

#8 Broncoholics

Broncoholics

Broncoholics

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 12:53 PM

I turned mine clockwise to tighten but my buddy has a modified box and his was counter clockwise. You will know pretty quick which way is which.

#9 fbrown3

fbrown3

F-Series Mechanic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:Hunting,Fishing and spending outdoor time with my boys, playing with the BII

Posted 28 September 2004 - 08:01 PM

The turn to the right is correct, but not too much otherwise you crush the bearings and it won't be able to find its center like you explained earlier. You might check the steering dampener(the rubber disc that connects the column to the gear box) you mut look close, if you are in doubt about it's condition replace it,its cheap. had that prob once before. I believe they make an after market disc that is all metal (not for street use) works awsome but don't twitch while holding the wheel or you will make a lane change in a heart beat! Hope this helps you.

#10 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*

Posted 29 September 2004 - 08:19 AM

Thanks,

That's very interesting, no I have not looked very close at the dampener. Just a simple mechanical device right? Is it under that plastic sleeve type cover?

Thanks again:)

#11 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*

Posted 29 September 2004 - 10:51 AM

Should be, it can give you a lot of play when they start to go bad. It can get real exciting if it comes loose!

#12 Guest_froggy47_*

Guest_froggy47_*

Posted 29 September 2004 - 04:29 PM

I'll ck it this weekend:)

#13 Broncoholics

Broncoholics

Broncoholics

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 08:55 PM

Mine was torn and helped when I repleaced it with a stock rubber one.

Who Mfg's the all metal one? I would like one of those bad ass mamajambas!

#14 fbrown3

fbrown3

F-Series Mechanic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:Hunting,Fishing and spending outdoor time with my boys, playing with the BII

Posted 01 October 2004 - 06:49 AM

I beleive it is a company called Cal sports in California, they deal with off road buggies.

#15 fbrown3

fbrown3

F-Series Mechanic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 07:38 AM

Try these web sites, they might help www.ktrcorp.com or www.rinomechanical.com

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users