Diesel & Dana 60 Conversion Continued....

9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_7.3crawler_*

Guest_7.3crawler_*

Posted 16 October 2004 - 09:45 PM

Just an update on my '88 Bronco. I swapped in a 1993 7.3 turbo diesel, with a c-6 transmission, I have put over 6000 miles on it so far with no problems. I just finished swapping in a Dana 60 front axle out of a '79 F-350, and a 10.25 Sterling rear axle fom a '94 F-250, both with 3.55 axle ratios that work good with no overdrive. I went with leaf springs in the front for strength and simplicity along with cross-over steering. I ended up with 8" of lift and am now running 37" Goodyear MTRs'. I installed a factory diesel tach. instrument panel and pyrometer, boost, trans. temp., & air pressure guages. Out went the bench seat and in went a 60/40 power split bench seat out of a '96 Silverado (only bow-tie part on the rig) and a B&M shifter. I fabbed up a set of wrap around tubular bumpers with a Warn 9000 lb. winch. Future mods will include ARB lockers front and rear, an Atlas II 3 to 1 transfer case to get my crawl ratio back down, and a full external roll cage to keep my family and I safe. This is my family hauling, daily driving, trail running, rockcrawling, snowplowing, 30 foot camper pulling do-it-all rig that Detroit refused to build! Thanks, and happy wheeling!Dan. For some reason my pictures won't upload.

#2 Deezel_Dusten

Deezel_Dusten

Duck Tape L'fixer :)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Cars, trucks, going off road

Posted 17 October 2004 - 04:08 AM

Congrats on the swapping, wouldnt happen to know of anymore 79 dana 60's laying around would ya? :P Only complaint, should stroked 'er, but then again, i am partial to strokes myself.....
Mmmm... Strokin'

#3 hawk2100n

hawk2100n

F-Series Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 17 October 2004 - 01:35 PM

Hey sounds nice. you should talk to wliebhard. he dropped in a cummnis in his bronco.

#4 Guest_Windchaser_*

Guest_Windchaser_*

Posted 18 October 2004 - 12:10 PM

Very sweet sounding Rig. How does that diesel feel? :D/

#5 Guest_7.3crawler_*

Guest_7.3crawler_*

Posted 18 October 2004 - 06:00 PM

It has good power with lots of torque, besides nothing beats the feel, sound, and smell of a diesel! (It's a sickness) Dan.

#6 Wliebhard

Wliebhard

F-Series Mechanic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Interests:Mtn. Biking, Family, Making engines fit that shouldn't.

Posted 18 October 2004 - 08:36 PM

Me gusto MUCHO!!!
That's pretty sweet! I,ve been toying with the idea of putting a Dana 60 on my Bronc, but have to admit that I'm a little gun-shy (cost complexity, ect)
We'll see. I'm just working thru some alternator issues right now....
I like those pics of your 'stroke in the mud!!! Keep wheelin! :)>-
1985 Bronco, '95 Cummins 12v, 47RE tranny, NP241HD T-case, 31" MT, 3" body lift, more to come...

#7 Deezel_Dusten

Deezel_Dusten

Duck Tape L'fixer :)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Cars, trucks, going off road

Posted 18 October 2004 - 08:44 PM

It has good power with lots of torque, besides nothing beats the feel, sound, and smell of a diesel! (It's a sickness) Dan.

Amen to that.... diesels rule.

No more wheeling her though, she just a princess now, her new turbo is on the way, aiming for 375-400 HP. The bronco is the wheeler now.

#8 Guest_7.3crawler_*

Guest_7.3crawler_*

Posted 19 October 2004 - 06:31 PM

A B-series Cummins was my first choice for the conversion, someday maybe? Can anyone tell me how to load in pictures? I tried putting them in the attachment spot but it would not work. My pictures are jpg.??!! Thanks, Dan.

#9 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*

Posted 19 October 2004 - 07:25 PM

I wanna se some pics of that 7.3 in there!!

#10 Wliebhard

Wliebhard

F-Series Mechanic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Interests:Mtn. Biking, Family, Making engines fit that shouldn't.

Posted 20 October 2004 - 07:09 AM

Go to your gallery, then click on add. There should be an option to download from your computer, but can't remeber exactly...
1985 Bronco, '95 Cummins 12v, 47RE tranny, NP241HD T-case, 31" MT, 3" body lift, more to come...

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users