Tires And Gas Milage

2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Preacher_*

Guest_Preacher_*

Posted 13 February 2004 - 11:35 AM

okay... i've got an easy question. i bought my bronco last month and it had 225/75r15's on it and i know that the stock tires are 265/75r15's. i drive abought 52 miles a day to and from workmy average speed is 60 mph. i live out in the middle of nowhere so i have to come to a full stop only once. my question is this: if i swap the 225's for some 31's will that make my gas milage go down. i really hate the tires that are on there now; they make it look like a midget bronco. the tires are bald so i have to get new tires anyway. i just want to make sure that my milage won't go down TOO much. TIA...

#2 Guest_Jes4Kix_*

Guest_Jes4Kix_*

Posted 13 February 2004 - 01:20 PM

here is a link to a chart that will help you figure out your highway rpm for various tire sizes and general performance guidelines

http://www.4wheelpar..._gear_ratio.asp

hope this helps

#3 davids78bronco

davids78bronco

fabricator extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • Interests:Work all day, and build Bronco accessories in my free time. I've built pre-runner and winch bumpers, rock sliders and rear bumpers, w/ or w/o tire carriers, as well as HD cargo racks (not the bolt-to-your-hardtop POS's)

Posted 13 February 2004 - 01:21 PM

the 265 size tires are about 31" tall anyway, so whichever set you choose will be better. You fuel mileage will likely increase, but only by a bit, since the slightly larger tire is getting fewer revolutions per minute, allowing the engine to run at a slightly slower speed, saving a little bit of fuel. BUT, that doesn't mean that running 33-35" tires on stock gears will make for even better fuel mileage, it won't

But to answer your question, the 31s will work perfectly well with your Bronco

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users