7 replies to this topic

#1 Bradt

Bradt

F-Series Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 10:20 PM

Here's one that's bugged me for a while, and I've just never thought to ask anyone. I've always refered to an inline 6 engine as an I6. I look at a lot of sites (carfax for one), and they list it as L6. Why two abbreviations for the same engine?

Brad

#2 Ziggy

Ziggy

F-Series Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 02:01 AM

A I6 or "In line 6" is not the same as an L6 or "Slant 6". I have only seen a slant 6 in Chrysler/Dodge products, the engine is canted to one side, like 1/2 a V8. In line 6's are just that - straight 6 cylinder in a row with the crank below the pistons with the valve cover on the top such as the Ford 300 and Jeep 258.

#3 Bradt

Bradt

F-Series Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 09:30 AM

I guess that's what confused me. I thought the Ford engines were I6, but carfax lists mine as L6. Was that an option somewhere on the '88 Broncos?

I can't find it in my research online, or in my owners manual as an option. I've looked at it and unless I am missing something it is an I6. Wonder how I get carfax to change that.

Brad

#4 Ziggy

Ziggy

F-Series Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 11:07 PM

Never heard of Ford having an L6, but i could be wrong. As for Carfax, you could try writting them and telling them they are wrong, but I believe they take all their info off the VIN. Bounce your VIN against a maunal and see what it says. If your the second or third owner, someone may have changed the engine at one time.

#5 Bradt

Bradt

F-Series Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 06:52 AM

Only other owner was my dad. He didn't change it.

I have found out that it is very likely that the truck was supposed to go to a fire department, but they never got it. It was purchased new off the lot, so I don't believe anything was changed.

How would I check it against a manual?

Brad

#6 grande_guerre

grande_guerre

grande mondiale

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Interests:Broncos (of course), loud speakers, snowboarding, guitar, cars in general

Posted 29 November 2004 - 10:37 PM

My school has computers that'll decipher the vin number. I could check it out for you. I'd just need your vin.

#7 hawk2100n

hawk2100n

F-Series Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 05:42 PM

BMW also uses a slant six. They are all reffered to as an inline six now. ford never produced a slant six that i know of. most likely, this is a typographical error made by carfax.

#8 pmhvps

pmhvps

F-Series Newbie

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Old Ford's

Posted 29 December 2004 - 08:23 PM

I never heard of a Ford L6, try asking over here. http://fordsix.com/forum/ They are the six guru's.
Mike.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users