Engine/transmission Swap

5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_olblueme_*

Guest_olblueme_*

Posted 18 February 2004 - 09:32 AM

:rolleyes: I have a 351m with a C-6 Transmission out of my 1978 Extended Cab 4WD F-150. I want to know what's involved with installing this engine/transmission into my other 1978 ford F-150 2WD Longbed. My F-150 4WD has the Leaf Springs up Front like a F250.

#2 Txquadhunter

Txquadhunter

F-Series Maniac

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 11:24 AM

Since you have the donner truck there to do the swap it'll swap right over. you'll need to use the frame motor perches from the 351m truck and also the tranny crossmember if you leave the Tcase on. You'll also need to find a driveshaft for a F150 4wd reg. cab LWB truck. If you planning to swap the whole 4x4 into it plan for alot of fab work or buying leaf sprung kit for the F150. Since the 4x4 system ain't a bolt in swap for the 70's model trucks like the 80+ trucks you'll be better off finding a 4x4 frame and swap your cab and bed onto it. But as for just the motor/tranny swap you've got it all in front of you besides the rear driveshaft.

#3 Guest_olblueme_*

Guest_olblueme_*

Posted 19 February 2004 - 05:20 AM

Thanks for the response. If I do this swap I don't intend to leave the Transfer Case attached and I won't be converting my 2WD to a 4WD. I am in the process of a frame off restoration on my 4WD and thought I would use the larger engine/transmission in my 2WD since the 302/C4 is tired. :rolleyes:

#4 Txquadhunter

Txquadhunter

F-Series Maniac

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 04:24 PM

since thats all your using and don't plan on using the C6 back in the 4wd send the tranny into a shop to have a output shaft for a 2wd tranny and a tail housing. (both can be found in wrecking yard..just output needs to be installed by a shop unless ya good with tranny work. you'll still need a tad shorter driveshaft cause the C6 in a little longer the the C4. most opt. to leaving the Tcase for a low 2wd and only a shaft needed.

#5 davids78bronco

davids78bronco

fabricator extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • Interests:Work all day, and build Bronco accessories in my free time. I've built pre-runner and winch bumpers, rock sliders and rear bumpers, w/ or w/o tire carriers, as well as HD cargo racks (not the bolt-to-your-hardtop POS's)

Posted 20 February 2004 - 01:56 AM

Reading this, I thought it was to convert it to 4wd also, but since that's not the case, I'm questioning whether or not, the 351M would be a good choice, for an engine donor. If that were my truck, and I were keeping it 2wd, I'd rebuild the 302, or drop in a 351W. There's no extra work involved, nothing to change, and you can get better performance from a mildly built 302, than you can from a stock 351M

#6 Guest_olblueme_*

Guest_olblueme_*

Posted 20 February 2004 - 11:36 AM

Thanks Everybody! Yov've given me a lot of food for thought. Haven't made up my mind yet. By the way, I didn't mean to mislead anybody about the a 4WD Conversion, just wanted to include the information about the Leaf Spring Front end in case it made a difference about the oil pan or engine mount towers going to a 2WD Twin I-Beam.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users