3 replies to this topic

#1 sreaminbronco

sreaminbronco

It's Only Money, Right?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 07:36 AM

inside the tailgate there is a switch so when you put the key in and turn it a certain way the window goes down this also transfers power between the dash switch and the window moto its a little box and it says ford on it and its like in the middle left of almost any 92' bronco and i went to ford the other day to get a new one and i didnt know what it was called and so the guy said he had some idea but he was just as clueless as me haha any help would be great.

#2 CACTUS JACK

CACTUS JACK

Duck Tape L'fixer :)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 08:40 PM

There are two switches in the tailgate. One is a plunger type located on the tailgate LH catch mechanism that won't let the window operate unless the tailgate is latched securely. I short across this switch with a wire splice.
The other switch is actually two on/off switches mounted in a housing. the key lock assembly fits thru the housing and a paddle swings in an arc to actuate either switch when the key is turned. Before you replace this switch make sure there is power on th blk/wht wire in the three prong plug behind left taillight. If no power there / no switchee.

#3 Seabronc

Seabronc

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 06:37 AM

Tail_gate_window_circuit_80__86.jpg If you need to replace that switch, it is not sold as a seperate item. It part of the tailgate harness which is Ford P/N E3TZ 14529-B listed in the 80 - 86 parts catalog under group 14529. This will get the parts guy in the ball park and should be able to find the 92 part under the same group.

It would be less expensive to go to a junk yard and cut that switch along with some the wire attached to it and splice it into your harness. also, if the harness on a junker is in good shape, tke the whole thing. Watch out for broken wires where it flexes between the tain gate and where it goes into the body behind the tail light.

Another common problem is the connectors that get moisture and either corrode so the connection doesn't make or sometimes the lead going into the connector corrodes until it breaks off. There is one on the frame under the left fender that goes quite often.

Attached is a digram of the circuit for 80 - 86. Functionally it hasn't changed for the 87 and up. I believe in the 9o's they had one less connector. This one has one less connector.

"I know you think you know what I said, but what you need to know is, I did'nt say what I meant"

#4 Seabronc

Seabronc

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 06:41 AM

I said the connector was under the left fender, I should have said on the rear crossmember left side. Just look under the bumper :blush: .

Good luck,

:)>-

"I know you think you know what I said, but what you need to know is, I did'nt say what I meant"

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users