79 Lowboy steering with lift

2 replies to this topic

#1 Rickinbc

Rickinbc

F-Series Newbie

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 12:46 PM

Hi, I am doing a ground up on a 79 F250 low boy 4x4. I re arched and added leafs to a Skyjacker 6" lift kid to be about an 8" lift. I bought the Skyjacker dropped pitman arm and the drop drag link. The components as you all know are for a 6" lift, I was able to get everything hooked up but it obviously is tight and borderline binding. I remember back in the early 80's there was a angled up steering arm, the piece with the 3 bolts into the steering axle tube. You know it's the arm the drag link hooks up too. Some even had a block you could put under this to "level out" the steering components. Sorry I don't know the name of the "steering axle tube" but thats all I could think of to call it, I think you get the picture. Does anyone know were to get this angled arm or one of those blocks?

By the way I was going to run 44's with a 3" body lift and once I got the front fenders on I realized that was a pipe dream. 40's will have to do or add another 4" of lift. Thanks for your help!

Rick in Vegas

#2 Shaltac

Shaltac

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 11:40 AM

Google Dana 44 steering spacer block and you should get plenty of results. 40's are a little heavy for a D44, if it ever gets off roaded in more then tread - deep mud. I've broken Ujoints (heavy duty spicers) with 35x12.5x16 MT's in mud holes. I'm running a 4" lift with a drop drag link. The drop drag link causes a LOT of bump steer (truck still goes straight, but the steering wheel turns every time I hit a decent bump). If you are going this tall, might be time to consider a crossover setup, and / or a Dana 60.

I'm running a '79 F250 Lowboy if that helps.

Hi, I am doing a ground up on a 79 F250 low boy 4x4. I re arched and added leafs to a Skyjacker 6" lift kid to be about an 8" lift. I bought the Skyjacker dropped pitman arm and the drop drag link. The components as you all know are for a 6" lift, I was able to get everything hooked up but it obviously is tight and borderline binding. I remember back in the early 80's there was a angled up steering arm, the piece with the 3 bolts into the steering axle tube. You know it's the arm the drag link hooks up too. Some even had a block you could put under this to "level out" the steering components. Sorry I don't know the name of the "steering axle tube" but thats all I could think of to call it, I think you get the picture. Does anyone know were to get this angled arm or one of those blocks?

By the way I was going to run 44's with a 3" body lift and once I got the front fenders on I realized that was a pipe dream. 40's will have to do or add another 4" of lift. Thanks for your help!

Rick in Vegas

Edited by Shaltac, 02 April 2007 - 11:41 AM.

#3 shiz a flyin

shiz a flyin

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 07:20 PM

I had some problems with my stirring to but it ended up the piece you are talking about was bent. however while I looked for the answer I noticed that one of my friends who has a Chevy with a 6" lift (I don't know what kind it is) and a 44 had a drop Pittman arm and the peace that the drag link bolts to was angled up about 3" and he had a strait drag link. Maby if you look at another lift manufacturer you can find that peace and all will be good:)

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users