Confounded

1 reply to this topic

#1 wolfman

wolfman

F-Series Newbie

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 03:28 PM

While I had the rear end of my '74 Ford F100 off the ground replacing the rear brake shoes, I noticed that both rear axles turned freely with the tranny in park. The drive shaft did not turn cause the tranny was in park but why did the axles turn? Does my truck have a faulty rear end?

#2 RKDxpress

RKDxpress

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 06:09 PM

While I had the rear end of my '74 Ford F100 off the ground replacing the rear brake shoes, I noticed that both rear axles turned freely with the tranny in park. The drive shaft did not turn cause the tranny was in park but why did the axles turn? Does my truck have a faulty rear end?

If your truck drives ok you have an open diffrential. Try jacking up just one wheel at a time with the other on the ground. If the raised wheel spins free you have an open diff. Raise both wheels off the ground and one wheel turns foward and one backward you have an open diff. if they both spin foward together like there locked together you have a locker or limted slip diff. (try this with the truck in neutral and the front wheels blocked) If both wheels spin foward and the shaft does not move and when you try to drive your truck and the drive shaft spins but the truck don't move then you'll know somethings broke! Hope that helps! RKD.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users