Strange electrical problem

2 replies to this topic

#1 greginboise

greginboise

F-Series Newbie

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 04:16 PM

Hey all! I've had a strange starting problem on my 1990 F 250 4x4. It has a 460 and a 5-speed. I went to start it the other day, and when I released the key, the starter continued to spin. I quickly turned the ignition off, but the starter continued to spin. It only stopped when I put it in gear, and let the truck roll into a curb. I've replaced to solenoid on the fender well, and it hasn't happened again, but I'm a bit puzzled. To make things stranger, not long after tis incident, I had the exact same thing happen to my '79 Bronco!

In both cases, it didn't seem to have a negative effect on the starter; both continue to operate normally. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this phenomenon.

As long as I'm here, I would also like to ask how I can get my dash instruments to start working again. The one noticable side effect on the F 250 is that the gauges (except for the speedometer) don't work properly. They still are getting current, but the readings are way off. For instance, the tetmp gauge starts near max, and moves further up as the motor warms up.

Any ideas? Thanks!

#2 FreddiefiredogX4

FreddiefiredogX4

F-Series Newbie

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 01:17 AM

Hey all! I've had a strange starting problem on my 1990 F 250 4x4. It has a 460 and a 5-speed. I went to start it the other day, and when I released the key, the starter continued to spin. I quickly turned the ignition off, but the starter continued to spin. It only stopped when I put it in gear, and let the truck roll into a curb. I've replaced to solenoid on the fender well, and it hasn't happened again, but I'm a bit puzzled. To make things stranger, not long after tis incident, I had the exact same thing happen to my '79 Bronco!

In both cases, it didn't seem to have a negative effect on the starter; both continue to operate normally. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this phenomenon.

As long as I'm here, I would also like to ask how I can get my dash instruments to start working again. The one noticable side effect on the F 250 is that the gauges (except for the speedometer) don't work properly. They still are getting current, but the readings are way off. For instance, the tetmp gauge starts near max, and moves further up as the motor warms up.

Any ideas? Thanks!

#3 FreddiefiredogX4

FreddiefiredogX4

F-Series Newbie

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 01:29 AM

ya I had the same type problem with my "89. After wearing me out completely, it was recommended by my buddy to change the Ig. switch. I also had a new neutral safety switch installed so's I didn't have to stomp a hole in the flooorpan everytime I want to go.

The problem with the starter is common, espescially when you run headers, cause it is "out there" amongst all that blazing heat. Summit sells a cover for the starter to keep the heat out. It will save on replacements. If you run offroad, you might want to use that to cover it up from splashing. but I sunk mine and started all over so I know. Had to climb out the back window when my front drive U-joint popped from shear torque, and left me in 4 foot of mud.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users