77 Ambulance motor/tranny swap

No replies to this topic

#1 Old Ford Ambulance

Old Ford Ambulance

F-Series Newbie

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 09:37 AM

I have a 1977 Ford Ambulance with a perfect running 4barrel 460 big block and a perfect working c-6 3speed auto tranny with dual rear wheels. I want to take out the big block and c-6 and install a 240 six cylinder (1974 or earlier ?) and mate it to a later model AOD 3speed with NON electric overdrive (1986 ?). This is basically a Ford Van with an aluminum box on the back with dually wheels. I am going to convert it into an over-ngihter (bedroom only) RV for the weekends here in Florida. No towing, climbing, across the country traveling, etc. Just puttering around in mid Fl going to car shows and swinger clubs, etc. and am concerned about the gas mileage as I get about one driveway per tank now. I know these motors are dirt cheap, as well as the transmissions, but I would like information on EXACTLY WHAT IS REQUIRED to go backwards in this swap as most swaps are to get more power and mine is the opposite. If anyone in Orlando can pull this off you can have the big block, etc and I will buy the rest.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users