5 replies to this topic

#1 Charlemagne8

Charlemagne8

F-Series Newbie

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 04:33 PM

Hi all,
Recently, my shifter on my 1973 automatic stopped working. Just loose and doesn't do anything. After a $40 tow bill (cheap) and two mechanics telling me they can't help me, one showed me how to start the motor (with a screwdriver at the solenoid) and I reached down to the end of the steering shaft, put it into Drive and drove home. Ach! Could have saved $40.

I've been told that my problem is a broken shift tube and that it is a problem inherent in my model of truck but all I can get is a junkyard steering column. My logic is that if it's an inherent problem, I would be buying another possible broken (or soon) shifter.
I did find a new shift tube at BroncoGraveyard (the ONLY place BTW) but I have two questions:

1. What else will I need?

2. How difficult is it to do myself?

Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

CVIII :rolleyes:

#2 Charlemagne8

Charlemagne8

F-Series Newbie

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 05:23 PM

Or not. Thanks for all the help.

#3 davids78bronco

davids78bronco

fabricator extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • Interests:Work all day, and build Bronco accessories in my free time. I've built pre-runner and winch bumpers, rock sliders and rear bumpers, w/ or w/o tire carriers, as well as HD cargo racks (not the bolt-to-your-hardtop POS's)

Posted 12 March 2004 - 06:43 PM

Don't get uptight about it, there's usually several reasons a thread goes unanswered. Having just read this myself, I have serious doubts that what happened to you isn't as common as you're being led to believe. You can certainly buy that junkyard column with relative assurance that you'll get several more years use out of it.

How do you replace that shift tube you were looking at? Nothing to it, but to do it... that's usually the best teacher

#4 STLKIKN

STLKIKN

F-Series Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Interests:EBs, EBs, Boobies... you know, all the important things in life!

Posted 12 March 2004 - 08:59 PM

With the age of your truck, it is impossible too know what else you will need without seeing it.

You MAY need upper and lower column bearings.
The shifter handle itself could be broken or worn (have you popped the pin out
and inspected it yet? The shift tube itself may still be ok. Can you feel the shift
pattern?)
Steering shaft rag joint or u-joints, or complete lower shaft if worn.
If your signal switch cams are worn or broken, now will be the time to replace
the switch.
If you have plans to add an aftermarket steering wheel, now would be a good
time.

Your project essentially involves a COMPLETE teardown and rebuild of the
steering column, if you are unsure of your abilities, don't worry, you have one of the simplest columns that you could to rebuild. Get a manual with a teardown pic of your column. It may save you a lot of frustration.

Good luck.

#5 Charlemagne8

Charlemagne8

F-Series Newbie

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 06:46 PM

OK. Thanks. Sorry I got my panties in a wad.
I did a teardown of it today. Pretty much everything is worn out except the wheel (a new one) and the turn signal switch, also new.

A couple of very good sources for old parts is http://www.lmctruck.com and http://www.dennis-carpenter.com

LMC carries a few hard-to-find parts but you have to have the catalog to order on line. Dennis Carpenter has bought some of the old machines that Ford used and actually manufactures new-old parts. They're both really proud of their merchandise. I paid $200 for a new/old steering wheel at DC and $70 for the new turn signal switch at LMC.

NOBODY has a new horn bar. I had to rebuild mine with black silicone.

LMC is a great source for inside trim and body parts, however.

C8

#6 davids78bronco

davids78bronco

fabricator extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • Interests:Work all day, and build Bronco accessories in my free time. I've built pre-runner and winch bumpers, rock sliders and rear bumpers, w/ or w/o tire carriers, as well as HD cargo racks (not the bolt-to-your-hardtop POS's)

Posted 14 March 2004 - 07:00 PM

Damn, if I had read this earlier, I would gladly have sold you my spare column - it's non-tilt, non-cruise, and would have included the wheel and horn pad... guaranteed to work... for far less then what you paid

almost 300 bucks for a steering column... was it at least gold-plated?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users