2 replies to this topic

#1 Redneck390

Redneck390

Duck Tape L'fixer :)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 09:03 PM

Was there any kinda aftermarket power steering that could be put on the High Boys? I aint ever seen one with a factory set up, but mines got some kinda funny aftermarket hydro lookin stuff on the arm that goes from the pitman to the knuckle....theres a bunch of lines on it that dont go anywhere anymore so what ever it was is now gone. Theres alot of play in the steering... is all aftermarket s**t too
1975 Ford F250 High Boy
390FE Big Block, 4-Speed, NP205
Dana 60 FF Rear
Dana 44 Closed Knuckle Front

#2 papertiger00

papertiger00

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 06:28 PM

If was moded for off road and used that way it could have had hydro steering. if it was removed then might explain the hoses.

#3 Craig75

Craig75

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 06:25 AM

Was there any kinda aftermarket power steering that could be put on the High Boys? I aint ever seen one with a factory set up, but mines got some kinda funny aftermarket hydro lookin stuff on the arm that goes from the pitman to the knuckle....theres a bunch of lines on it that dont go anywhere anymore so what ever it was is now gone. Theres alot of play in the steering... is all aftermarket s**t too

phat set up isn't aftermarket. That was the hydraulic ast. steering that was installed on most of the high boy up to 1977 1/2. The funny looking arm between the pitman to the knuckle is a valve. When there is enough force to over come the spring in that link it shuttles fluid to a cylinder installed where a stabilizer would normaly be. The four hoses you see coming from this valve has two going to the cylinder and two to the power steering pump. I don't know how this system worked when they was new but I do know it's exspensive to replace all the parts to make this system like new. I have never seen a aftermarket kit to replace this system but I have changed one over to a normal system. If you search this topic on the web you will find a few people out there that show how they changed thiers over. I looked at thier pictures they showed and came up with my own idea. I used a power steering box from a 1995 E250 van. I think this is a common gear box used on alot of the 250 and 350 trucks and vans. I made a bracket out of 1/2 inch plate that I could bolt the new gear box up to and have the pitman control shaft come out through the frame like the old one. I did have to cut the hole in the frame bigger, but after I welded a cover plate over the face of the frame it looks factory. I had two new hoses made using the fittings off the old lines. I also installed a new stablizer where the hyraulic cylinder set. With a few changes to the column shaft I was done. I have also seen one done with a set up from a newer dodger pickup but it set out side the frame and the pitman arm and column shaft set ups looked kinda funny. If you have no luck coming up with a idea email me and I will send you some pictures.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users