7 replies to this topic

#1 daking

daking

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 11:30 PM

I have no power to anything.No lights no starter.radio,wipers, zilch.This happened over night.I left a toggle switch on to my snow plow overnite.this always drains the battery.All I usually do is charge the battery again and all is fine.Not this time,I have lost all power to everything.No juice to ignition or fuse box.I have changed the battery,bought a new solenoid,cleaned uo the battery posts and ground wire to the bock.If I cross the solenid, the truck will start without turning the ignition on.But the starter will continue to run.And when I disconnect the jumper the engine stops immediately.I am stumped.I have juice going into the alternater and the regulator,but nothing coming out.There is only one hot wire coming from the battery to the hot side of the solenoid.From the hot side of the solenoid there is one wire running to another solenoid to run the snow plow,and another wire running to the alternator,which splits back to the regulator.
Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Daking

#2 bronc76

bronc76

F-Series Pimp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1978

Posted 28 February 2009 - 07:15 AM

daking- sounds like that you have covered all the basics, you said that it turns over when you jump solenoid, it tells me that something maybe wrong with ignition (just a guess). it maybe the pickup coil in distributor, i also think that maybe you can have your ignition module checked at local part store to see if that is working properly. Have you thought about installing a new ignition switch? hope this helps.

#3 daking

daking

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 07:45 AM

[quote name='bronc76' date='Feb 28 2009, 10:15 AM' post='20279']
daking- sounds like that you have covered all the basics, you said that it turns over when you jump solenoid, it tells me that something maybe wrong with ignition (just a guess). it maybe the pickup coil in distributor, i also think that maybe you can have your ignition module checked at local part store to see if that is working properly. Have you thought about installing a new ignition switch? hope this helps.
[/quote

There isn't any juice to anything.All of the current is staying between the solenoid. alternator,and regulator.Out of these
three which one or ones is likely to distribute the current to anything.And why don't I have working headlights, radio,etc.
What is shutting down my whole system.The juice stops flowing at the alternator and the regulator.Is there suppose to be
current coming out of any of these while the vehicle is idle?
Thank you for the advise.I am going to have the regulator and ignition module checked next.

#4 daking

daking

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 08:02 AM

Here is a site with the wiring diagram:http://www.autozone.com/shopping/repairGuide.htm?pageId=0900c1528004bb9d

#5 daking

daking

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 09:12 PM

I have taken in the ignition module and it had one test fail,and the regulator could not be tested.I replaced the ignition module with a new one.I still do not have any juice to any of the components.
Is there a way to hot wire the truck so I can at least plow snow.
We have just got 6+ inches today.
Thanks, Daking

#6 daking

daking

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 07:38 AM

I did manage to hotwire the truck and it is running good enough to plow snow.Hopefully I can finish out the winter in this fashion and do all major repairs and follow up work this summer.Last nights temp. was a chilly -10. I will have to pull some of the fuses as it seems the truck can not operate to its capacity this way.Just give me a heater and some gas and were up and running.
Thanks for all your efforts and when I find out the problem I will post the answer.I see by reviewing some of the previous posts, some one had the same problem in 2006.I tried to reach this indiviual ,but no response.
Thanks Daking

#7 freeto4wheel

freeto4wheel

Duck Tape L'fixer :)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 08:40 AM

you may take the the two bolts holding the fuse box out and look at the back side of the fuse box and make sure the main power feed isnt shorted or broke loose mine did last year and i had the same problem you can track this wire back out and see if it hot or not and find the problem i have a spare wiring harness out ill try to look later and see what wire was the main feed for sure hope this helps for now if you need more info leave me a reply

#8 daking

daking

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 08:59 PM

Thanks for the reply.I will definately check it out.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users