#1 jtl4482

jtl4482

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 05:13 PM

Hi Yall,

Im new to the forum but not new to the classic iron that is the 73-79 era f series. I have had these trucks since I was 14, now 30. Im not what you'ld call a gear head but I consider myself a decent wrench turner. I have 2 trucks currently and swear by both of them. My '77 is an f150 2wd A/T ranger xlt with heavy springs (Possibly a camper option) and a 400. It recentl;y became my daily driver, it's doin great The guys at work give me a hard time because the truck aint pretty!. My problem is my 78 F250 4wd. It's my work horse and im pretty sure that the 460 blew when I was plowing snow. It made lots of slapping pinging and banging then no noise at all cuz it stopped. Plenty of oil in it so that wasn't the prob. I'm pretty sure it is locked cuz the starter wont turn it, even a littl bit. Not trying to drag out my explanation but I feel that dudes with respect for these beasts understand. I think I am capable of swapping the engine with one that runsgood. Of course as most people would like i would like to keep the 460 size. But I am open to a 351 or 400. What Im not sure of is what will fit with minimal hassle. It does have a C6 and i was told when I bought the truck that the 460 cameout of a 73 Lincoln or something like that. Not sure what was in it from the factory. The guy also noted that his buddy put heads off a 429 on it so I feel like the trk is a bit cannibalized. ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED! Hopefully i can return the favor someday with my experience from the 6 trks iv'e had like these.

I should mention that I don't know if I am comfortable with going inside the eng with out guidance....I d prefer to unbolt and rebolt something that works. I was also told about a 351 in a Tbird nearby...would that work>?

Thanks Again in advance...JTL4482

#2 bronc76

bronc76

F-Series Pimp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1978

Posted 04 March 2009 - 07:19 PM

jtl- if you were satisfied with the 460, if its in your budget then i would rebuild it, everything is already there. if you want to know what it came from factory, look at the 4th digit on vin.

is the motor out of the t-bird a 351W?

#3 jtl4482

jtl4482

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 12:15 PM

jtl- if you were satisfied with the 460, if its in your budget then i would rebuild it, everything is already there. if you want to know what it came from factory, look at the 4th digit on vin.

is the motor out of the t-bird a 351W?

I'm looking at another 460 to replace it out of an old ambulance in a junkyard and possibly the 351 i mentioned. It's a 79 T-bird and i haven't looked at it yet but i hear it's a daily driver. My guess is that it is a 351w cuz of the year.
thanks

#4 bronc76

bronc76

F-Series Pimp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1978

Posted 06 March 2009 - 12:25 PM

if it is a 351w, i dont think it will bolt up to the current C6. you might have to look for one that will bolt up to that small block, but i think a 351M/400 might work. probably be better off getting that other 460.

#5 jtl4482

jtl4482

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 06:04 AM

if it is a 351w, i dont think it will bolt up to the current C6. you might have to look for one that will bolt up to that small block, but i think a 351M/400 might work. probably be better off getting that other 460.

Thanks,
I stopped in to the salvage yard and looked at the 460. Looks ok...couldn't here it run though. Im pretty sure they will give me a guarantee. It is in an old E-series limo bus and has a c6 attached to it. I think im gonna get the whole shebang and use the tranny for my other truck. the guy said he'd make me a deal if i got the combo.

jtl

#6 Mil1ion

Mil1ion

It's Only Money, Right?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1979

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:27 AM

Here you go.

http://fordfzone.com...?showtopic=4832

#7 jtl4482