1 reply to this topic

#1 Miniguy

Miniguy

F-Series Newbie

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 05:41 AM

Hey guys,
I'm new to the Ford world so please bare with me. I just got a 79 F-350 4x4 from my brother in law as a wedding gift. The truck needs alot of work but is a good project. The main problem i'm having is that this truck is completely bastardized. From doing alittle research, it seems that its a 79 body, which is how the truck is registered, sitting on an early 73-77 frame and its got a 460 under the hood. The fuel tank is in the cab which is not an option on a 79, it has an early auto steering column but is running an NP435 and also has an NP205 "divorced" transfer case which isnt original to a 79. Theres a 3/4 ton Dana 44 high pinion up front and a Dana 70 in the rear and I believe thats all original to the 350. So as you can see, i've got some work ahead of me.

So here are my plans and this is where i need some help/info from you guys.

I will be transplanting either a cummins 5.9 or a Ford 7.3 diesel in there, havent made up my mind yet. I'm gonna keep the NP435 but would like to do a direct mount of the NP205 instead of having the extra driveshaft of the divorced unit. Probably need to go to some taller gears to accomodate for the diesel. Gonna keep the leaf spring suspension all around but sport some good shocks. Depending on the engine, the frame rail may get boxed and of course, a heavier leaf set up front will be a must with the diesel. The fuel tank is coming out of the cab and going back under the rails where it belongs!

So here are some questions:
What do I need to un-divorce my transfer case and is that a good choice for the torque im gonna be running?
How can I find out the exact year of my chassis so ordering parts wont be a nightmare?
Are all parts generic for a 73-77 chassis or are there some subtle differences?
Any good resources for adapters and mounts to move the transfer case and convert the engine?

The trucks gonna be a toy, it wont see any serious action. Just always had a soft spot for 79' fords and finally got one. BTW, the transfer case and tranny will be getting completely rebuilt. The engine might get an overhaul depending on cash flow at that time.

Thanks for the help in advance guys! Great site you've got here!

-james

#2 bronc76

bronc76

F-Series Pimp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1978

Posted 03 May 2009 - 07:10 AM

welcome to the zone, you do got some work ahead of you! try advance adapters for the adapters that you might need to make this work. i'm not sure if there is a vin number on chassis or not. i'm restoring a '78 right now and i havent seen one yet. (if there is one). look along the frame rail near motor. the 73-77 chassis parts should be pretty much the same, i dont think they changed that much, maybe tie rods. (can you send pic?) Move that gas tank and good luck with project.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users