4 replies to this topic

#1 johnny reb

johnny reb

It's Only Money, Right?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 01:42 AM

I put a 390 down in my 78 bronco that has a 4 speed. I know the 76 pick-up had 360and 390 engine also. I can find headers for the 390-in a 76 pick up. I was wondering if the frame from a 76 is the same as a 78 bronco. I can not find headers for a 390 engine swap into a 78 bronco. If anyone has a 76 pick-up with the 360 or 390 engine in it.Could you take a picture of the engine sides --so I will be able to compare the frame to mine. It would be greatly appreciated. I am also planning on putting the old Thrush alumiun side pipes..Remember them back in the 60,s?Thanks

#2 darrin1999

darrin1999

F-Series Newbie

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1959

Posted 07 February 2010 - 05:36 PM

I believe the F-250/350 4x4 frames changed in 77 1/2, but don't think the F150/bronco frames changed till 80.

the frames did change in 77 1/2 but only after the cab. the front is still the same 34" but the rear is 37.5" i believe

#3 fordtruckman

fordtruckman

F-Series Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 09:51 PM

4wd has the transfer case to worry abotu. it is tighter in there than you think. i just put custom pipes on my 71 4wd because i couldn't find anything that said it would fit. it is the front axle in the way the oil pan in the way or the bellhousing and clutch in the way. i went straight down from the factory 390 manifold under the bellhousing and under the trans crossmember to get the pipe to come out for duals that was on the drivers side. the passenger side was very easy. nothing in the way.the steering box also gives some clearance issues when you combine it with the other issuse. there just isnt any room for much of anything in there. i have heard of people puttign headers on that were made for a 2wd truck thought and they say they fit and worked fine. i don't recall the brand they used. it was several people and several brands i think. but the frames as already stated. didn't change in the trucks except behind the cab after 77. broncos: i have no idea. but probably nothing different than our 4wd trucks.

#4 johnny reb

johnny reb

It's Only Money, Right?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 03:17 PM

I read where the 1976-78 ---2 wheel drive and 4x4 frames are the same. I did take a single exhaust header pipe and installed it on my 78 bronco with the 390 engine. The only thin I had to do was jack the frame up about a foot and some wig-ling and itfit. I --DID NOT have to remove the starter or anything--it is a perfect fit.Hope this helps someone oout.

#5 1978Rebuilder

1978Rebuilder

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Dumping money into my pickup, shooting pool, drinking Budweiser beer, putting big motors where they aren't supposed to be
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1978

Posted 04 April 2011 - 02:44 PM

As far as the F-150s go, between a 2wd and 4wd there are no differences. I took an automatic 2wd 75 body and put it on a 4x4 78 frame. no modification

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users