#1 verts79

verts79

Duck Tape L'fixer :)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1979

Posted 09 December 2009 - 12:51 PM

I recently did a body swap on my 79 ford truck. I put the body from a 2wd onto a 4wd frame I kept after I rolled it over and totaled it. The 2wd was a 3 on the tree while my 4wd is the 4spd manual shift. How can I (if even possible) remove the shift linkage on the shorter 2wd steering column so I can put the steering coupler shaft on the column to reach my power steering pump on my 4wd frame?
1979 F-150 shorty, 300 6cyl, 4spd manual, 33x12.50's

#2 krafty

krafty

F-Series Mechanic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 03:15 PM

you'll have to swap out the steering column from one in a scrap yard that was a manual on the floor.
2003 F-350 5.4 Crewcab SRW

#3 verts79

verts79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 08:14 AM

you'll have to swap out the steering column from one in a scrap yard that was a manual on the floor.

nah-i'm not so sure that's right krafty. i've read a related article on it somewhere, but can't for the life of me seem to find it again. you may be right, but...i'm still looking for another opinion. thanks though, and if you are right, my apologies.

#4 krafty

krafty

F-Series Mechanic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 04:04 PM

no worries you do what you have to do,
but as far as I know your problem lies with the 3 in the tree shifter. I never knew ford to use the 3 in the tree with a 4x4, so more than likely it will not work. any modification would pretty much have to be done with the coloum out of the truck, and swapped with parts from a either an auto shifter coloum or a manual coloumn

either way you need the other coloum to finish the job, if you can save your 3 on the tree shifter it is worth lots of money to certain people at swap meets.
2003 F-350 5.4 Crewcab SRW

#5 verts79

verts79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 04:39 PM

no worries you do what you have to do,
but as far as I know your problem lies with the 3 in the tree shifter. I never knew ford to use the 3 in the tree with a 4x4, so more than likely it will not work. any modification would pretty much have to be done with the coloum out of the truck, and swapped with parts from a either an auto shifter coloum or a manual coloumn

either way you need the other coloum to finish the job, if you can save your 3 on the tree shifter it is worth lots of money to certain people at swap meets.

you were right krafty, thanks. bought one for $100. thanks for the info about the shifter column, didn't know it was worth much more than a regular column.

#6 fordtruckman

fordtruckman

F-Series Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:11 PM

here is what i know. the 3 spd column can be taken apart and the shift arms removed. but why? they wouldn't be in the way of using it for the 4wd floor shift steering. the flange on the 2wd column does come off with alot of heat and a hammer. it is splined under there. buying a power steering column was the right move though. i have a 71 4wd and the column is a manual column. but power steering has been added to the truck afterwards. with the power steering box and the maual column the extended steering shaft wanted to rub the frame. so some dummy took a torch and modified the shock mount so the extended steering shaft would clear the shock mount. it is still close but it doesn;t rub. the smart thing for the previous owner to do would have been to get the power steering column and or a longer or different etended steering shaft.

#7 surfc1

surfc1

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1978

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:20 PM

Ooooooh the infamous three on the tree. I would pay good money to have a 4x4 3OT. My first F series, 79 150, was 3OT. Yeah, they would be worth a lot to guys like me. And yes I do know how terrible it would be to have a 4x4 with that, but nostalgic nonetheless. Has anyone heard anything about the columns from JBG.com??? I am looking into getting a new steering setup and liked the options they had. Any input?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users