3 replies to this topic

#1 riggermortis

riggermortis

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 07:47 PM

hello, more questions for anybody that might be able to help. i pulled codes on my truck (1992 F250 7.5L) just to see if it said anything, i dont have a check engine light on or anything, the truck runs good and it passed the key on engine off test. then it showed a continuous memory code "95" the description in my book says "fuel pump secondary circuit failure<em dash> PCM to ground" and i also found this online for the same code "Fuel pump: open, bad ground or always on - Power / Fuel Pump Circuits" as far as i know the fuel pumps are working fine, it runs good on both tanks with no problems, but i am only getting 10 mpg on the freeway or around town. im running empty(no weight in the bed)in O/D with stock tires, no lift, K&N cold air kit, throttle body spacer, high flow muffler and 3 inch pipe from the gutted out cat back. just wondering if anybody has had this code and what they did to fix it, and if that could be part of my mpg problem. i understand that it is a big block but my older 460's that were carborated got around 14 to as good as 16 mpg. thanks for the info in advance!
1967 bronco sport 302 w/efi, 1992 F250 7.5L, 2001 cobra mustang 32V 4.6

#2 miesk5

miesk5

F-Series Maniac

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Interests:Broncos, beach runs, surf fishing
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1996

Posted 17 February 2010 - 08:48 AM

hello, more questions for anybody that might be able to help. i pulled codes on my truck (1992 F250 7.5L) just to see if it said anything, i dont have a check engine light on or anything, the truck runs good and it passed the key on engine off test. then it showed a continuous memory code "95" the description in my book says "fuel pump secondary circuit failure<em dash> PCM to ground" and i also found this online for the same code "Fuel pump: open, bad ground or always on - Power / Fuel Pump Circuits" as far as i know the fuel pumps are working fine, it runs good on both tanks with no problems, but i am only getting 10 mpg on the freeway or around town. im running empty(no weight in the bed)in O/D with stock tires, no lift, K&N cold air kit, throttle body spacer, high flow muffler and 3 inch pipe from the gutted out cat back. just wondering if anybody has had this code and what they did to fix it, and if that could be part of my mpg problem. i understand that it is a big block but my older 460's that were carborated got around 14 to as good as 16 mpg. thanks for the info in advance!

yo!
This Code is complicated, but not as bad as an ICM failure.
A really quick and no $ test is to swap the Horn Relay for the FP relay
(& the EEC Power Relay could be secondary problem if intermittent due to corrosion or wiring or connector problems)

Horn & FP Relays (and EEC #1) are in da Power Distribution Box (PDB); here is the PDB Diagram in a 96, similar to a 92 (check da Diagram on your PDB's cover (inside);
http://www.supermoto...ry/media/533918
the PDB is Located under the hood on the drivers side fenderwell, behind the stock air cleaner location.

See Relay #3; you can swap it temp w/da FP relay #2 to verify if it is good; check for corrosion in socket...could be other (intermittent) problems along ckt.
Posted Image
http://www.supermoto...ry/media/533918
Source: by Ford via Roadkill (The Beast) at SuperMotors.net

btw did you do both KOEO & KOER tests w the engine at norm op temps for the latter?

edit; this MB now won't load the Thumbnail Images !!! so I posted the URL

will bbl

Edited by miesk5, 17 February 2010 - 08:50 AM.

96 Bronco, E4OD, Man Xfer Case & Hubs
See my Big Bronco & F Series Technical & Parts LINKS site. Will need to clean up dead links & add many more new links some day. Thanks to Mr. Schwim! http://schwimserver5.com/?index=1128
Thanks to All Who Serve

#3 riggermortis

riggermortis

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 05:54 PM

yesterday i talked to a service tech at the ford dealer and he told me most likely a bad ground. so i cleaned all of the grounds under the hood including the batt. then i erased the code, then proceded to do all of the tests again, it passed all of them with flying colors. i did however find that the base timing was set at 6 degrees BTDC and all of my books and the stickers under the hood said it was supossed to be at 10. i almost think it was set at 6 from the factory, because i am the second owner and the original owner gave me documentation of EVERYTHING that had ever been done to it, all the way down to every drop of gas that was put into it. the guy even still had the window sticker from when he bought it. it only had 62,000 miles when i bought it, and the distributor was so tight in the block that i had to put a big wrench and a cheater pipe on it to get it to move so i could adjust it. it seems to run smoother, and have a little more power than before. so i will recheck for the code in a couple days and see if it comes back. thanks for the info, i will be trying that next if the code returns.
1967 bronco sport 302 w/efi, 1992 F250 7.5L, 2001 cobra mustang 32V 4.6

#4 miesk5

miesk5

F-Series Maniac

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Interests:Broncos, beach runs, surf fishing
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1996

Posted 20 February 2010 - 08:26 AM

yw!

Yeah, corrosion is a primary concern in connectors, grounds, cable and cable/wire Strands (inside a terminal/lug or connector where it can't be Visually seen well)

GL!

Edited by miesk5, 20 February 2010 - 08:26 AM.

96 Bronco, E4OD, Man Xfer Case & Hubs
See my Big Bronco & F Series Technical & Parts LINKS site. Will need to clean up dead links & add many more new links some day. Thanks to Mr. Schwim! http://schwimserver5.com/?index=1128
Thanks to All Who Serve

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users