Photo

Best location for new electric fuel pump???

4 replies to this topic

#1 surfc1

surfc1

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1978

Posted 15 March 2010 - 10:37 PM

I have a 1978 F-250 with a 7.5L/460. It has a full MSD ignition system and I am about to replace the entire fuel system from carb to fuel tank. It currently has a Holley EF/pump and all I am doing is making everything new. The current fuel pump is bolted to the inside of the frame in the bay next to the radiator. Should I relocate it towards the back and lower so that it is somewhat gravity fed? or does it matter since it is electric? Also, I have dual fuel tanks; one in the rear and one side tank with the auto fuel selector switch.

I have all the lines but since they are kevlar I don't want to set it up the old way and have to cut more line later since it cost quite a bit. Thanks!

#2 bronc76

bronc76

F-Series Pimp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 06:37 PM

I don't think it really matters where its mounted as long as its in front of both tanks. I would keep it where its currently mounted especially on the inside frame for protection. As long as its electric, it shouldn't matter.

#3 surfc1

surfc1

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 07:59 PM

Rad! Thanks. Holley instructions said to mount it below tank level for gravity feed but that just didn't seem to make much sense since it is electric. I installed everything but the tanks and the old battle axe running great. I also just put a new Holley Truck Avenger (770) on today too. Works well. Thanks 'bronc76'

#4 bronc76

bronc76

F-Series Pimp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 09:26 AM

If the pump ends up not working properly in its current location, you can always move it.
nice truck!

Edited by bronc76, 18 March 2010 - 09:30 AM.

#5 DKW 86

DKW 86

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1976

Posted 26 August 2010 - 05:10 PM

Selling parts for many years and ran my own shop and was a service manager even more. Electric pumps are PUSHERS, not SUCKERS. they should almost always be mounted on the frame as close to the tank as possible. The pumps will work while in the forward part of the truck, but they will burn out prematurely. Watch the pressure of the pumps too. the last thing you want is a pump that overwhelms the carb, Edelbrock make great carbs, but they do not take even factory mechanical pump pressure well. I sell and install a Mr Gasket fuel pressure regulator with every Edelbrock i sell. I know the original post talked about a Holley, they are fine, but someone else reading this should know there is a big chance that later on an Edelbrock could be in the cards or may have one themselves.

Mr Gasket #9710
Posted Image

Edited by DKW 86, 26 August 2010 - 05:52 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users