#1 benniebill

benniebill

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1973

Posted 16 October 2010 - 02:24 AM

I am looking for the rear parking brake cables for a 1973 highboy with front drums. I tried the available cables for this vehicle with front discs and they are different. I haven't been able to locate a source, new or otherwise for these cables. Any advice?

#2 bronc76

bronc76

F-Series Pimp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1978

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:11 AM

Have you tried LMCtruck, nationalpartsdepot?

#3 benniebill

benniebill

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 11:56 AM

Yes sir, I ordered one from them that they said was supposed to fit. The inside cable was too long by about 8 inches and the spring (inside the drum) was too short by about 3 inches. They said that it is the one that their book calls for, but it is for disc brake model. They could not offer any other.

#4 labs

labs

F-Series Newbie

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1975

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:08 PM

[quote name='benniebill' date='16 October 2010 - 02:24 AM' timestamp='1287224661' post='22278']
I am looking for the rear parking brake cables for a 1973 highboy with front drums. I tried the available cables for this vehicle with front discs and they are different. I haven't been able to locate a source, new or otherwise for these cables. Any advice?

I just replaced the parking brake cables on my 75 highboy that has 4-wheel drums. NAPA had a set for a 76 that worked. What LMC and NAPA show for my pickpup were not the right length and the fitting on the drum end was different. Hope this helps. If I can find the receipt, I'll email the part number.

#5 benniebill

benniebill

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 12:17 AM

If you can find the receipt, that would be great. I am unable to measure because I do not have the old cables. Sounds like you may have the answer. Thanks in advance.

#6 labs

labs

F-Series Newbie

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1975

Posted 25 October 2010 - 06:27 AM

If you can find the receipt, that would be great. I am unable to measure because I do not have the old cables. Sounds like you may have the answer. Thanks in advance.

NAPA said their part number is 95143. My pickup is a 3/4 ton so don't know if that makes any difference. These were exactly what I took off and fit fine except I had to add a spacer at the equalizer rod to take up the slack when I set the brake. Ran out of threads when I turned down the adjustng nut so needed the spacer. A pipe nipple, washers, and nuts to hold it in worked just fine.

#7 benniebill

benniebill

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 06:57 AM

Mine's a F250 also, so these should do fine. Thanks alot

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users