#1 technovik

technovik

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1996

Posted 23 March 2011 - 10:38 AM

have a 96 f-350 460ci 4x4 36"tires..3rd auto tranny ive put in this beast and i aint doin it again..dam i hate auto trannys,,need to find out what manual trans will work.. I here the zf is it..?? if anybody has done this conversion any tips?? new computer??

Attached Thumbnails

• vikingtruck.jpg

#2 krafty

krafty

F-Series Mechanic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 11:32 AM

a couple things come to mind,
1. did you change your gears for the 36's? that adds a stress point.
2. did you rebuild or build up these trannys for your mudders and hard driving or did you just get 2 other old tired out trannys.
3. did you put the new t/c in correctly when you swapped the other 2 trannies?

if it was done right there should have been no reason to have to swap it out the 2nd time. let alone the 3rd.

as far as a swap, find a big block manual donor truck and start stripping parts.
pedal brackets, trans, clutch, flywheel, floor pan for shifter, computer, coloum, find and disable neutral safety switch.

ps. big tires with wrong gears and slipping trans = horrible mileage

Edited by krafty, 23 March 2011 - 11:37 AM.

2003 F-350 5.4 Crewcab SRW

#3 technovik

technovik

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 11:43 AM

HAHAH!!! NONE OF THE ABOVE.. ya im a newbe when it comes to all this so thanx for the advise...havent done anything with rear end gears...might have something to do with overdrive being all but completely useless as u cant keep a desent speed without have n ur foot in it all the time.Had a mechanic rebuild both trannys i put in...niethr held.. what geers do ya think r best for the set up i have?

#4 technovik

technovik

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 11:46 AM

and u aint kiddn when u say big tires+slippn tranny = bad gas milage cuz id b surprised if i was gettn anything over 6mpg+having to run super unld (cuz it runs like crap on regular) = $$$$$$$$

#5 krafty

krafty

F-Series Mechanic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 12:11 PM

well a 4.11 or 4.56 would be decent for your 36's keep you closer to the power band and low rpm when in overdrive.

my stock f150 came with 3.08 gears which with even 33's would ruin trannies or snap axleshafts.

http://www.4lo.com/calc/geartable.htm

have a look at the chart, being the f350 it probably has the 3.55 or 3.73 but even that isn't enough.

remember that if you are changing gears to be able to use your 4x4 on hard surfaces you will need to get matching gears for your front axle as well.
2003 F-350 5.4 Crewcab SRW

#6 technovik

technovik

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 01:23 PM

thanx for tip...especially on the front 4x4 part..wouldnt of thought of that until pieces of teeth wer rattlin round..

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users