1 reply to this topic

#1 80351windsor

80351windsor

F-Series Newbie

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1980

Posted 18 May 2011 - 08:15 AM

1980 F350 4X4, 351W 2bbl carb. 4speed manual, Hello all and thanks for all the great information so far. I recently received my dads truck and have been trying to get her back to driving condition. She starts fine when cold and drives anywhere you need to go, unless you turn her off when you get there. Than you're in for about a 2 hour wait until she cools down. Once shes cool- she starts right up. I dont have a lot of experience with this truck yet and am looking for ideas on where to start. Thank you for any help. Scott

#2 krafty

krafty

F-Series Mechanic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 01:57 PM

Hello, have you been able to trouble shoot which area is causing your problems?

the next time it refuses to start check for fuel flow to the carb and ignition to the plugs. once you can narrow it down we can isolate your problem and hopefully find a solution.

if you carry around an extra spark plug and plug it into your #1 plug wire when you have no start, if it is resting against the block it will spark when you crank the engine if your ignition is okay.

if that doesn't work plug it into the end of the wire going from the coil to the distributor and crank again with the plug against the block or valve cover.

for the fuel test all you have to do is disconnect the fuel line to the carb and watch as someone cranks the engine over for a couple seconds, if the fuel pump is okay there should be fuel gushing out.

Always do the spark test before the fuel test.

Edited by krafty, 24 May 2011 - 01:59 PM.

2003 F-350 5.4 Crewcab SRW

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users