3 replies to this topic

#1 mike b

mike b

F-Series Newbie

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1978

Posted 07 September 2014 - 09:11 AM

i recently bought my son a 78 f150 with 351 m to have as his first vehicle. we are going to fix it together over the next year for when he gets his license. I recently found out the motor is locked up so I will need to replace. I would like to go to a 302 but not sure what all I will have to do to make it work. I want something period so i do not have to change wiring barnes and such. could some one point me into right direction so i can determine if this is doable or not. I am a back yard mechanic at best but have very qualified people to help. they suggested I try your site to help me with all the particulars I will nee to be aware of. My son really loves this truck so i want to make this work.

thanks for any help,

Mike B

#2 Skitter302

Skitter302

F-Series Mechanic

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:Welding
    Bronco(s)
    F-150(s)
    Driving
    Racing
    4x4
    Custom Gear
    A/M Parts
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1997

Posted 07 September 2014 - 08:48 PM

Welcome!

My warning in advance is that you will need a different transmission. The 351m has a different bolt pattern then the 302. (note: The 351w shares its bolt pattern with the 302.)

When looking for an engine, any 302 with a carberated intake will do. To keep things "period"  buy a year matching distruptor and ignition coil. I've had no issues with MSD products.

This is also a perfect time not to install a mechanical fan. Buy 2 good electric fans off ebay or amazon and use thermal controllers. Wiring might be confusing at first, but you'll be happy with the results later.

got a photo of the truck?

1997 F-150 XLT -- 4.6L -- Automatic -- 2WD 3.55 Limited-Slip (ext Cab, reg Bed)

1984 F-350 XL -- 460in³ -- C6 -- 2WD (Crew Cab, Long Bed)

#3 mike b

mike b

F-Series Newbie

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1978

Posted 09 September 2014 - 02:58 PM

thank you skitter. I do not have any pics yet. the truck is straight with minimal surface rust. no rust around cab mounts. My son and I intend to paint and repair everything ourselves. when we are done it will be what it is. Is a great project for he and I to spend time together though. I was an aircraft mechanic and now run a maintenance dept at a major university. hope my mechanical abilities will come through here.lol

#4 Skitter302

Skitter302

F-Series Mechanic

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:Welding
    Bronco(s)
    F-150(s)
    Driving
    Racing
    4x4
    Custom Gear
    A/M Parts
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1997

Posted 10 September 2014 - 04:11 PM

Sounds like you and your son will have lots of fun together. Keep us updated :)

1997 F-150 XLT -- 4.6L -- Automatic -- 2WD 3.55 Limited-Slip (ext Cab, reg Bed)

1984 F-350 XL -- 460in³ -- C6 -- 2WD (Crew Cab, Long Bed)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users