After Market Parts

8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_therube_*

Guest_therube_*

Posted 01 April 2004 - 08:08 AM

Hey all, what is the best online place to get after market parts for FSB's? I used to go to K Bar S but they are out of business... We had a Texas size Hail storm (4 inch hail), and I need to replace the hood, fenders, and tailgait... Also, have any of you had any experience with the fiberglass hoods with the scoops? Look cool, but how do they function?

Thanks,

Therue in TEXAS

#2 Shadow_D

Shadow_D

F-Series Pimp

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1999

Posted 01 April 2004 - 09:20 AM

Bronco Graveyard Body Parts 87-91
90 Bronco Full Size
Police Package
351W
E4OD
31" Tires
Going through a complete restore

http://fullsizebronc...ail.php?id=1650

#3 Justshootme84

Justshootme84

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • Interests:4wd trucks, hunting, fishing, music

Posted 01 April 2004 - 10:03 PM

LMC Truck also sells body panels and Bronco stuff, half of my '84 came from them. Where in TX are you? I'm down here near Houston, and we had a bad hail storm last Spring about this time. It was the worstest one in 30+years according to the insurance dude. My hood and roof got pelted, and I had just had my paint job done a few months before. When that was being done, my bodyman repaired about 35-40 hail dents from the storm the year before that left some baseball-size dents.
I looked into getting fiberglass fenders and a hood so I wouldn't have to worry about hail all the time. It costs near as much for the new parts as it does to fix the dents, though. I found another hood at a junkyard near Austin, and that's what I made my shaker hood from. You can't see them in the pic, but I still have dozens of tiny hail dents in my roof, and a few bigger ones. The original body parts are much stronger than the aftermarket ones, so check with a few yards. You can also order new ones from many of the larger salvage operatinos. I have some good fenders, hood and quarter panels from my 88 parts Bronco. Even the core support if you want to change the front clip.

BTW, do you remember the 89 Bronco that KbarS Bronco had? I have a pic in the unrelated gallery at OffroadWorld.com It was red with about a 4" lift, and a supercharged 351W. That was a BADD Bronco my friend!!!
1984 Bronco XLT, 351W H.O., C-6 AT, Ford 9", SkyJ 6" lift, 35" tires on MT Classic rims, S&W Racecars 10-pt cage kit, custom "shaker" assembly.
1988 Bronco Custom, 302 EFI, C-6 AT, Ford 8.8". parting out
1986 Bronco Custom, 300I-6, NP435

#4 Guest_therube_*

Guest_therube_*

Posted 02 April 2004 - 05:31 AM

I live North East of Dallas by about 30 miles. The Hails Storm that hit you was pretty bad, but the one up here came in thre phases. The first hail hit and was only about the size of a quarter, but then another one hit about 20 minutes later with hail about the size of golf balls, after that one, another came through about 15 minutes later and dropped baseballs for about 15 minutes... I kept some hail that was 4 to 5 inches in diameter... pretty devestating.

On the fiber glas parts, i did hear that they cost just as much as original/ after market parts, but they way a lot less. I do think I came across a couple of quarter panels at a yard, but debating if I wil change mine, only a few dents. As far as the tailgait goes.... do you know if they are prone to rusting out like the originals were? Mine are starting to rust on the bottom corners like everyone elses eventually does...

Thanks for all the info!

Therube in TEXAS

#5 Guest_Raven_*

Guest_Raven_*

Posted 02 April 2004 - 07:57 AM

for some of the dent it might be just as easy to pop them out get some dry ice and puyt it on a towel on a warm day put it over the dent and it should pull the dent out .. that is how most of the body shops do it when the advertise for the scratchless dent pulling ..

#6 Txquadhunter

Txquadhunter

F-Series Maniac

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 07:45 PM

Around the Rockwall or Greenville area in Texas?

#7 Justshootme84

Justshootme84

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • Interests:4wd trucks, hunting, fishing, music

Posted 06 April 2004 - 01:09 PM

I think the aftermarket tailgates will rust out, too, due to the poor design of the shell. It doesn't let moisture escape from the bottom. If cost is no concern for fiberglass panels, check with AutoFab.com, they can fix you up. The style will be changed to 92-96 but the parts will fit. There are a few other sites for glass panels, but I have not found one for the 80-86 style. UsBody has a one-piece, tilt front end.
1984 Bronco XLT, 351W H.O., C-6 AT, Ford 9", SkyJ 6" lift, 35" tires on MT Classic rims, S&W Racecars 10-pt cage kit, custom "shaker" assembly.
1988 Bronco Custom, 302 EFI, C-6 AT, Ford 8.8". parting out
1986 Bronco Custom, 300I-6, NP435

#8 Guest_Raven_*

Guest_Raven_*

Posted 07 April 2004 - 05:07 AM

one of the things that a local body shop told me to do i the tailgate is to spray some 3M Rust Fighter-I in there. it will create a wax like coating that will seal the inside of the metal. the other thing wasa to add a few of your own holes in the bottem of the new tailgate..

#9 Shadow_D

Shadow_D

F-Series Pimp

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1999

Posted 07 April 2004 - 06:34 AM

Raven:
Is what you described for a new tailgate or one that is already rusted?
I know there are products that you can spray on rust and it claims to stop rust.

I have never heard of "3M Rust Fighter-I". Is it new?
Thanks
Darrin
90 Bronco Full Size
Police Package
351W
E4OD
31" Tires
Going through a complete restore

http://fullsizebronc...ail.php?id=1650

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users