400 Efi?

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_biggreen78_*

Guest_biggreen78_*

Posted 07 April 2004 - 08:58 AM

currently i have the 351m in my 78, but when i decide to rebuild it im doing it in one shot. my question is if anyone has made their 400 fuel injected? and if so are there any additional mods that would be preferred to accomodate the fuel injection? fuel mileage is my main concern due to the insane miles i rack up. however ive still got to keep up with traffic, which all of you know is not very easy with this ole dog (especially commuting to chicago) thanx for any help- matt

#2 Billz4x4z

Billz4x4z

F-Series Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Interests:Trucks,4 Wheelin,Workin on Stuff,campin,the outdoors,NASCAR,meetin new people to go wheelin with,Truck shows family time

Posted 07 April 2004 - 05:05 PM

I'm pretty sure holley makes a tbi available,your mileage gain won't be that much.Is it worth the money.....I think not.Just adding a 4 bbl intake and carb I gained 4 miles to the gallon,the 400 needs to breathe.I suggest a dual plane edelbrock intake,and 600 cfm carb,unless your runnin a big cam then bump in cfm ratings.

Just my thoughts
If ya don't get hung up once in a while your not wheelin hard enough
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#3 Guest_biggreen78_*

Guest_biggreen78_*

Posted 22 April 2004 - 09:54 AM

ive always liked toying around with ideas of things that haven't been done much. this is an instance where there is a good reason for it. ive done a little research on it, and i must say that for the prices to convert i had just assumed that there would be a more significant increases thanx billz for the info- matt

#4 Guest_biggreen78_*

Guest_biggreen78_*

Posted 22 April 2004 - 10:01 AM

hey billz i forgot to ask- ive heard talk that the weiand intake manifold is better than the edelbrock. what your thoughts on that? also what carb would you recommend. thanx for any input- matt

#5 highboy73

highboy73

FORDing thru life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 07:30 PM

what about the tbi set up off an early 80'2 lincoln?i think the stealth is better than the performer but offy makes the best manifolds for everything,kinda pricey though.
the tbi bolts to the 2bbl intake,now just need the distributer and computer.
if it was easy everyone would do it,right?

#6 Guest_biggreen78_*

Guest_biggreen78_*

Posted 23 April 2004 - 06:45 AM

im trying to conserve costs, so i cant afford a "new" engine just a grand or so for more oomph. also im trying to decide whether or not im going to keep the vehicle stock looking or builld it strictly for the mud. either case, i try to keep it dirty on the weekends

currently its a daily driver, im planning on giving it to my son when he's old enough, but ive got 13 years to build it hopefully by then i'll have a better plan
i appreciate your feedback- something to keep in mind

#7 Billz4x4z

Billz4x4z

F-Series Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Interests:Trucks,4 Wheelin,Workin on Stuff,campin,the outdoors,NASCAR,meetin new people to go wheelin with,Truck shows family time

Posted 23 April 2004 - 04:52 PM

The Weiand is a good intake,just stay with a dual plane type if they make 1,I'm not sure.Carb choice goes with cam choice,rv to mild cam I'd run between 600 and 650 cfm,I'm stock and runnin a 600 cfm on mine.
In case you wondering dual pane will give you better lower end torque.

Bill
If ya don't get hung up once in a while your not wheelin hard enough
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users