Sqeaky Top

5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_broncochick_*

Guest_broncochick_*

Posted 16 April 2004 - 02:11 PM

[-o< Please make it stop!!!!!!!!! I have a 92 bronco which I LOVE but cant take the sqeaking coming from the fiberglass top and the doors. I bought it about 4 years ago and its just getting worse. I took the top off two times or so also put some weather stripping stuff in. Also the screws keep popping out all over the interior. Thought you bronco experts might have some good SOUND advice.
Much thanks!

#2 Guest_BRONCO JIM_*

Guest_BRONCO JIM_*

Posted 16 April 2004 - 05:39 PM

TRIED TO E YOU,USE WD 40,WORKED GREAT FOR ME

#3 Justshootme84

Justshootme84

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • Interests:4wd trucks, hunting, fishing, music

Posted 16 April 2004 - 09:50 PM

Hmm, the top shouldn't squeak a whole lot unless it's loose or the rubbers are worn out. May have one or more missing. You don't need all 13 bolts to hold it down, but the ones you use should be tight.

I also have the "dropping interior screw" syndrome from time to time. I bought some shiny stainless screws in various sizes at the local hardware store, and put those into the trim panels wherever any screws were missing. A slightly larger size holds up well so far! The holes or the original screws eventually get worn out.
1984 Bronco XLT, 351W H.O., C-6 AT, Ford 9", SkyJ 6" lift, 35" tires on MT Classic rims, S&W Racecars 10-pt cage kit, custom "shaker" assembly.
1988 Bronco Custom, 302 EFI, C-6 AT, Ford 8.8". parting out
1986 Bronco Custom, 300I-6, NP435

#4 Ktomek06

Ktomek06

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Lifeguarding, my bronc, and a lot of other stuff.

Posted 17 April 2004 - 05:55 AM

Yeah last time I put it on, I found that you have to use them in certain places because anytime I hit a bump it would make a clunk sound. :wacko:

#5 Guest_Gunner_*

Guest_Gunner_*

Posted 19 April 2004 - 03:15 AM

ok you do NOT need all 13 bolts to keep the top on secure. i have 7 yes only 7 bolts holding my top on and i have no squeeking or water leakage you just have to make sure they are tight. oh the only reason i have 7 is because the guy who owned it before me stripped the other 6. i am going to fix it by welding the stripped holes and re drill them but as of right now there is no squeaking or clunking.

#6 Guest_ratmrage_*

Guest_ratmrage_*

Posted 19 April 2004 - 09:52 AM

I agree with gunner. I bought an 89 bronco that had no bolts holding the top on. I drove it like that for 2 months, probably not to smart but I know the previous owner and he drove it like that for 3 years, I only put 3 in the top-front and 2 on each side, no squeaks or clunking now.

Reply to this topic

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users