20 replies to this topic

#1 hawk2100n

hawk2100n

F-Series Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 06:24 PM

I need a new OEM tach to fill the gaping hole in my dash. Where can I get one.

Posted Image

#2 Guest_Gunner_*

Guest_Gunner_*

Posted 14 May 2004 - 03:38 AM

junk yard is always a good place to check first.

#3 BLADE262US

BLADE262US

F-Series Pimp

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Interests:Ford there is nothing else =)

Posted 14 May 2004 - 11:16 AM

I might have one . Ill look and get back to ya :D

#4 hawk2100n

hawk2100n

F-Series Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 15 May 2004 - 01:24 PM

checked my local jundyard for one and they didnt have one. as for time involved in install, what would be a good estimate. is it even worth it.

#5 Shadow_D

Shadow_D

F-Series Pimp

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1999

Posted 18 May 2004 - 07:05 AM

Keep an eye on eBay, I've seen them on there from time to time.
Having a tachometer is always a good thing, you can use it to see if there is a problem and you can watch it to try to save gas.
90 Bronco Full Size
Police Package
351W
E4OD
31" Tires
Going through a complete restore

http://fullsizebronc...ail.php?id=1650

#6 Guest_BK_*

Guest_BK_*

Posted 18 May 2004 - 01:24 PM

I got mine off of Ebay for about $8.00 + shipping. Be aware that like mine, the cluster that came without a Tach. will not have wiring for the Tach. You will have to run your own wires to the coil, etc.

Good Luck,

Bill

#7 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*

Posted 18 May 2004 - 06:43 PM

you'll need full factory tach. gauge cluster. Just add your Mile Meter to it so it'll read right. It's just a easy bolt in job. your truck wiring harness is pre-wired for it. I just put one in my truck about a week ago. I've got a spare cluster factory Tach. cluster. It needs the clear protectant cover to be complete. also with trip meter

#8 Txquadhunter

Txquadhunter

F-Series Maniac

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 06:51 PM

opps forgot to log in, It's me one who just installed factory tach. above.

#9 hawk2100n

hawk2100n

F-Series Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 07:50 PM

I have the complete guage pod with the clear thing. so i could just swap out the parts. You said it was easy, correct? I am weary of a huge weekend project from other cars with very complex dashes. I want it be simple, I hope it is. good news about the wireing harness. I was wondering about that.

#10 Shadow_D

Shadow_D

F-Series Pimp

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1999

Posted 21 May 2004 - 05:24 AM

You don't need to take the parts out of the cluster, just swap them. Only thing you might want to change is the odometer so you can keep your mileage right.
90 Bronco Full Size
Police Package
351W
E4OD
31" Tires
Going through a complete restore

http://fullsizebronc...ail.php?id=1650

#11 Txquadhunter

Txquadhunter

F-Series Maniac

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 11:59 AM

it's a easy swap. the dash ain't complex as you think. really just one big conector for all guages and your speedo cable. The hardiest part is hooking the speedo cable up since it's short and makes it tight to get back on. but you should be able to have it swapped in a hour or so

#12 sweepersrgr8

sweepersrgr8

"GET ER DONE"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 02:09 PM

In my experence....the speedo cable was harder to get off than on. To make things really easy, crawl under your truck, and disconnect the clamp that holds the cable to the frame. This will give you about a foot extra to pull through the floor, or fire wall, making more room to get your hand behind the cluster.
One more thing no one mentioned ....You have to take the cover off you steering colum to disconnect the Gear Indicator cable. BE VERY CAREFUL!!! the cable is inside a tiny plastic tube that is very brittle. If you break it, your indicator won't work properly, it can not be fixed, only replaced. The CHILTON's manual outlines this procedure step by step. If you don't have this manual, it is well worth the $24. It has saved me thousands.
1989 EB Bronco
351W HO EFI
3 Speed Auto

#13 hawk2100n

hawk2100n

F-Series Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 06:44 AM

o yeah i have one. that is my ford bible. The chilton's manual in on the important list along with duct tape and bondo. thanks for the advice. i will start checking Ebay.

#14 Seabronc

Seabronc

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 04:34 PM

You would be better foo finding a Ford EVTM for you year truck. A Chiltons is easier to find but if you can find the Ford books they are far superion to the aftermarket books, they will cost you a lot more, but well worth it. Look on e-bay for these books.

I have a tac in my garage. You may also have to add a fuse #18 ( atleast that is the number on a 1983 FS Bronco,. Fuse 18 covers a lot of misic stuff.

"I know you think you know what I said, but what you need to know is, I did'nt say what I meant"

#15 hawk2100n

hawk2100n

F-Series Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 23 May 2004 - 03:12 PM

Well the chiltons works good enought for me. You said you have a tach, seabronc, can you use the existing cluster? i have been told several different things.

#16 hawk2100n

hawk2100n

F-Series Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 23 May 2004 - 03:14 PM

i am looking to buy a complete cluster of ebay because it has a trip meter.

#17 Seabronc

Seabronc

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 04:56 AM

No you don't neeed to change the entire cluster, just add the tac. Alla the wiring should be there minus the tac. the fuse is probably there also since it handles the seatbelt warning. to add the tac all you should have to do is take out the cluster, remove the mounts for the blank over the tc position and insert the tac. the electricl connections are made on the mylar circuit strip on the back of the cluster when you tighten the nuts to hold the tac. One connector attaches the cluster to the electrical harness.

The most critical part is removing and reinstalling the steering column shroud. You have to be careful of the shift indicator wire and attachment to the cluster. Once that is off disconnect the shift indicator wire from the left side of the column. I can give you the complete proceedure if you like which you will need no matter which way you decide to go.

Good luck,

:)>-

"I know you think you know what I said, but what you need to know is, I did'nt say what I meant"

#18 Seabronc

Seabronc

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 05:57 AM

PS I do have a tac in my garage and I also have a complete cluster thughyou would need to put your clear plastic face plate on it. It includes a trip odometer, but the tube that the shift indicator wire goes thru is broken but works, that's why it is not on my truck. I replaced it with another one from a junk yard. That is the part that can be broken when taking off the steering wheel column. Like I said before all you realy should need to do is add a tac to yours.

Email me if you want the tac. Help clean out my garage.

:)>-

#19 Seabronc

Seabronc

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 06:18 AM

OOPS I ment taking off the shroud on the steeering wheel column :lol: :blush: :o) :-&

#20 hawk2100n

hawk2100n

F-Series Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 06:19 PM

seabronc, i am intrested in the tach but am pressed for time right now. give me three weeks on the tach and i will be able to install.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users