What Do You Think?

20 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_BRONCOGIRL78_*

Guest_BRONCOGIRL78_*

Posted 20 January 2004 - 05:45 PM

5.4 triton in a 78 bronco?good idea?bad idea?
all opinions accepted on this subject.

#2 davids78bronco

davids78bronco

fabricator extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • Interests:Work all day, and build Bronco accessories in my free time. I've built pre-runner and winch bumpers, rock sliders and rear bumpers, w/ or w/o tire carriers, as well as HD cargo racks (not the bolt-to-your-hardtop POS's)

Posted 20 January 2004 - 11:28 PM

Myself, I like the idea... I always like ideas that entertain thought on different powerplants and drivetrains in any vehicle. But, I see several problems with the 5.4L idea - all new mounts (all of them), complete custom exhaust, everything is run on a computer, which means the axles need the appropriate sensors (whatever those may be), you won't be able to use the stock trans or Tcase, and might not even get to use the stock drivelines (even if they were modified to fit the TCase). Now, that's not to say it isn't possible... shoot, if a couple guys can drop in a 5.0L and a solid rear axle in a Focus, then this swap is do-able too. But it will, most likely, be down for work and modifications, alot longer than you might think

And without a supercharger of some kind, I don't think it'll have enough power to move a 5500lb truck with any ease, which would also mean the 5.4's transmission would need some beefing too

#3 Guest_BRONCOGIRL78_*

Guest_BRONCOGIRL78_*

Posted 21 January 2004 - 06:20 AM

yeah I was told it was a bad idea as far as the time it would be down,I didn't know about all the other stuff.
what if a rolled overed truck was bought from the insurance co. that someone's husband rolled with 58,000 miles on it?
you don't think a 5.4 would be enuff for a bronco?the rolled truck moved alot better than my bronco.
I wouldn't be doing the work anyway.lol

#4 davids78bronco

davids78bronco

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • Interests:Work all day, and build Bronco accessories in my free time. I've built pre-runner and winch bumpers, rock sliders and rear bumpers, w/ or w/o tire carriers, as well as HD cargo racks (not the bolt-to-your-hardtop POS's)

Posted 21 January 2004 - 01:35 PM

If you have the opportunity to buy an insurance salvage pickup, that has all the powertrain and drivetrain intact, and buy it for swapping to your Bronco, would you PLEASE document every last bit of it? I talk, chat, email with several guys that all talk about swaps like this - everything from a Caddy engine, to a PSD, and a 5.4L has been mentioned a couple times. None of us have the money, or facilities, to take on a project like that, but if you decide to do it, you'd have no idea how invaluable any, and all, of the information you can gather about the swap, would be to us. For a few reasons - mostly for proof that it can/has been done, it can be a reasonable, and fuel efficient swap, and while it may not have the torque of a 400, it would certainly outshine a 351M

Side bonus is, you can sell your engine, trans, Tcase, to help offset the cost of the donor pickup

#5 admin

admin

Tech Support

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 03:18 PM

If you were to do that and be willing to fully document it here at broncozone.com with pictures and technical information I might be able to get you some big discounts at Bronco Graveyard for any parts you might need that they carry. There probably aren't too many things but there may be some small items like a driveshaft or flange that they could supply.

Dana
Make sure to add images of your truck to your personal photo album!!!

#6 Runnin'OnEmpty

Runnin'OnEmpty

Where's My Hammer!?!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 03:07 PM

I like the idea. Having a donor vehicle is the only way to go on a swap that complicated, though. If it's a very late model truck (98 or 99 up) the PATS anti-theft system will be a pain to wire in. The engine will not start without it, and I know of no way to defeat it. That means the late model steering column will probably have to be transplanted. The swap shouldn't cost a lot, minus the donor, but it will be a ton of work and headaches. Stock up on beer and asprin. :)

#7 Guest_Guest_broncogirl78_*

Guest_Guest_broncogirl78_*

Posted 24 January 2004 - 03:47 PM

it's not a done deal but we have the oppurtunity to buy the truck and I'm looking at triing to keep my husband crazy.I don't know it's just an idea.
thank you for all your input.

#8 Guest_gobucs1_*

Guest_gobucs1_*

Posted 16 March 2004 - 06:05 PM

So any new news on this?

#9 Guest_BigDonkey_*

Guest_BigDonkey_*

Posted 19 March 2004 - 08:31 AM

Hey Broncogirl,

You've probably already moved ahead with this, but here's my 2 cents anyway.

Just because it can be done doesn't mean it should. 78/79 Broncos drivetrains are so tough and reliable I can't imagine why you would want to complicate things. With such a simple vehicle to work on and maintain, why make it complicated? I guarantee you that even with an affordable donor vehicle, it will cost at least twice what you think. Unless you can do it all yourself, the money you will spend on such a swap could put a 460 in there with almost no headaches and only a fraction of the downtime. Then power is not a problem. Mileage will not be as good as with the 5.4 Triton, but who owns a big Bronco for mileage reasons?

Sorry for the doom and gloom. I've learned lessons like this the hard way.

BigDonkey

#10 davids78bronco

davids78bronco

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 20 March 2004 - 10:25 AM

I'm not agreeing with this philosophy. Just because it might not be the best idea for this, or any other truck, doesn't mean it shouldn't be done. I've done this in the past too... discouraging someone from trying an idea, but I can appreciate someone thinking outside the box. If they wanted to drop in a toyota 20R engine in it, then go for it. Just because it might be a waste of time, effort and money to you and me, doesn't mean it would be to someone else

#11 4xfan78

4xfan78

F-Series Pimp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  • Interests:Anything Ford prefer 78-79 bronco<br>The bigger the better

Posted 08 April 2004 - 11:58 AM

i agree with davids comment. Tyr it, if it works maybe more of us could do it. I have heard that a navigator has a better 5.4, but if you can get that one cheap enough get it and let us know how it does.
GOT MUD?

#12 Guest_Quint_*

Guest_Quint_*

Posted 16 December 2004 - 01:35 PM

I'm doing almost exactly what you're discussing, and yes it's a lot of work.

http://home.comcast....crispin/bronco/

Quint

#13 Billz4x4z

Billz4x4z

F-Series Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Interests:Trucks,4 Wheelin,Workin on Stuff,campin,the outdoors,NASCAR,meetin new people to go wheelin with,Truck shows family time

Posted 16 December 2004 - 05:48 PM

Do I think its a good idea???Sure.Would it be somethin I wanna do?No I'm to old school and don't have a whole lot of faith in modern electronics.
If ya don't get hung up once in a while your not wheelin hard enough
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#14 Wliebhard

Wliebhard

F-Series Mechanic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Interests:Mtn. Biking, Family, Making engines fit that shouldn't.

Posted 16 December 2004 - 07:24 PM

Sounds cool. You may want to talk to factory 5 racing. If they have a kit to put a 4.6 (or is it 4.8??) modular into thier kit, then they have worked out the major problems I'm seeing discussed here. I can't imagine a 5.4 modular being that much differnt (anti theft sensors, ect...) than a 4.6( 4.8??). Also have you thought about a V-10? I've been tossing that one around for a while.
1985 Bronco, '95 Cummins 12v, 47RE tranny, NP241HD T-case, 31" MT, 3" body lift, more to come...

#15 Wliebhard

Wliebhard

F-Series Mechanic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Interests:Mtn. Biking, Family, Making engines fit that shouldn't.

Posted 16 December 2004 - 07:27 PM

One more thing, IF you decide to do this, a Linc. Navigator is WAY better. It uses a 3 valce head vs. 2v and makes alot more usable power, plus go fast goodies work better on the navigator. In the Mustang world, Navigator motors are all the rage in swaps. (now your four cents richer!)
1985 Bronco, '95 Cummins 12v, 47RE tranny, NP241HD T-case, 31" MT, 3" body lift, more to come...

#16 Guest_DSal_*

Guest_DSal_*

Posted 16 December 2004 - 10:47 PM

Yep the new navigator motors are 3v, older models are 4v and are sick. We've popped several in my groups cobras. I couldn't even venture to guess how it'll hold up to the stress of 4 wheelin.... either way, good luck if you continue down this road :) ...new cobra motor's can handle 600hp with bolt on changes (but the engine alone will cost more than several 79 broncos).

D

#17 highboy73

highboy73

FORDing thru life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 02 January 2005 - 09:18 PM

that is a project that is going to take awhile

#18 POS78

POS78

F-Series Newbie

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 11:58 AM

Good points, A lot of the triton guys want to bolt up NP205's if they could. I don't know about that E40D. The 5.4 is a good motor though. I would sell all the Triton stuff and use the money to build a 460 with an overdrive and an atlas transfer case.

#19 EFI'd-460

EFI'd-460

F-Series Newbie

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 08:15 AM

I think its a great Idea!!! I'm tossin' around the idea of putting an E4OD into my '79 F150, I've already got an EFI setup so the TTL sensor is inplace, the problem seems to be the tranmision mount, but this thread has already given me a few ideas around that (thanks Quint)... Go for if you want to.... It's your truck, beef it up however you want!!

#20 jake_262

jake_262

F-Series Mechanic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 05:39 PM

I think putting a 5.4 in anything is a great Idea, I love this engine lots of horse power torque, great fuel milage. but the it would be so much work, lots of money. I don't even know if the 5.4 would even fit in the bronco, I know what your thinking, its an older ford truck with lots of space in the engine bay. But the older engines were made with a 60 degree "V" on the block, and I beleive that the new 5.4 is on a 90 degree, making the the engine very wide and hard to put into the older vehicles. Just plan on spending allot of money on other things other than the electronics and bolt pattern problems with the trans and transfer. if you do this swap please send pictures ha,ha, ha

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users