Steering assist cylinder leaking

3 replies to this topic

#1 chux

chux

F-Series Newbie

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 07:19 AM

what up everyone. i just happen to come across this website while posting a topic at www.fullsizebronco.com
here's the link for ya http://fullsizebronc...ead.php?t=65550
it refers to a 1974 F250 Highboy that i'm about to get today. the question that i asked was if anyone knew if they make a rebuild kit for the steering assist cylinder. if anyone here could help that'll be great. i found the new ones at www.lmctruck.com but not the rebuild kit.thanks

#2 hillbilly

hillbilly

hillbilluy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:girls, trucks, cars, bikes, boats. and tellin supid idiots off!

Posted 22 April 2006 - 07:33 PM

what up everyone. i just happen to come across this website while posting a topic at www.fullsizebronco.com
it refers to a 1974 F250 Highboy that i'm about to get today. the question that i asked was if anyone knew if they make a rebuild kit for the steering assist cylinder. if anyone here could help that'll be great. i found the new ones at www.lmctruck.com but not the rebuild kit.thanks

are the bushings ok? I think you could take out the leaking seal and go to your local bearing store and have them check the specs. and order one,you may need to take cly. and shaft. I bet they can help.from the mountain. hiilbilly

#3 jake_262

jake_262

F-Series Mechanic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 07:47 PM

hey there, I just saw a website dedicated to the power assist on the old fords. I'm sorry I can't remember the site address, I found it by accedent when I was searching for an air bag lift for my brothers 99 ford truck. They had everything from the slave cylinder, and a brand new "controler thingy" (can't remember the technical name for the acuator on the drag link with all the hoses). I had an old 75 with the bendix power steering system, and that would have saved my life if I could have found this site. Anyway, I'm not sure how much help this would be, but I'm sure if I could find the site by accedent you can probably find it.

#4 chux

chux

F-Series Newbie

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 12:55 PM

well, i called around and a hydraulic place here in town said they would fix it. but, i could wait til payday to bring it down there so i torn into it. i found out that the cylinder was put together backwards and the o-ring was missing. so, i replaced the o-ring put back the right way and it didn't leak a bit.
about the bushings. what bushings? when i picked up the truck from the guy he had the steering pump and cylinder off. handed me a cookie sheet with some parts on it and said " everything hooks to the front" and left me to figure it out. there was a castle nut missing, 2 ball joint bushings missing, and the bolt for the hydraulic line mount.
there is a long story behind this truck... this was the short version. the guy claimed to being a painter and not the mechanic type person. from the looks of things on this truck i can really believe it. i'll post pics soon.
thanks for everyones help.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users