Photo

05 4x4 front end tryin to kik in

2 replies to this topic

#1 zzrat

zzrat

F-Series Newbie

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:WORKIN ON ANYTHING OLDER(79 ON BACK) RIDIN 4-WHEELERS,RACING, ANYTHING TO DO WITH OLDER CARS AND TRUCKS,NASCAR,JUST HAVIN FUN IS MOST IMPORTANT!!

Posted 03 February 2009 - 08:50 PM

hey all, i got an 05 f-150 with 5.4 trition in it . first time i had any troubles out of it was about 2 mo. ago, i was on gravel road and hear awfull sound from under hood and looked at gauges and seen that the little wrench light was on, and engine dies and i turn key back and coast to a stop, and after i stopped it sounded like it threw a belt off and the pully was still spinning, then it quit after 3 or 4 seconds. so i got out and looked under hood and nothing was wrong anywhere. so i got back in and started it up and took off and its been just fine every since,,, well untill i used the 4 wheel drive on ice and snow we got. and now i can be driving down the hwy at any speed and it starts a grimnding noise in the front end, so bad you can feel it in the steering wheel. and i hafta slow down and when i get to a lower speed it sounds like its grinding to try to glock the front end in. and after i get so slow it makes a gut tighting KLUD!! sound and acts like the front end locked in. some times it does it and sometimes it wont. its happened as many as 5 times a day, to mayber 3 or 4 days. im thinkin its probley a sensor or something myself, but i dont know, was wondering if anyone else knows anything about it?? i would be thankfull for any help anyone can give....thank , bob.....i have found out from a ford mechanic that its my actuators in my front end....and its both sides thats bad. i can fix them myself but was wondering something that maybe someone can answer for me. i was lookin and i have 100,000 mile drivetrain warrenty......i was wondering if the actuators are part of the drivetrain since they are made into the front axle???..lol...yea im sure they arent, but was wondering if anybody knew for sure or not.....thanks again....bob...well to update this id hafta say that i found out that it was the I.W.E SOLINOID ON THE FIREWALL...16.00 AND NOT 110.00 APEACE FOR THE ACTUATORSAND ILL TELL YOU THAT THE PART # IS 6L3Z-9E441*A..THIS IS THE NEW PART #...THE OLD PART # IS 6L3Z-9H65*B AND I LOOKED THEM BOTH UP AND THE OLD PART # SHOWED UP AS A SOLINOID AND THE NEW ONE SHOWED UP AS A VALVE ASSEMBLEY...BUT IS WHAT YOU NEEDAND NEW ONE IS LIKE 16.00 AND THE OLD CRAPPY ONE IS 32.00...I DONT KNOW WHY BUT NEW ONE IS CHEAPER AND BETTER. THANKS FOR THE REPLY LOSTIN THE 90S, AND I CAN SAY TO UP DATE THIS PROBLEM THAT I DID ORDER NEW PART # AND PUT IT ON AND FIXED ALL MY PROBLEMS!!...YES VERY HAPPY NOW, BUT I CAN SAY THAT I DRIVE AND OLD 67 FORD EVERY DAY TO WORK AND MY OTHER NEW TOY IS MY DADS 79 BRONCO!! HE BOUGHT NEW AND NOW IM FIXEN TO START DRIVIN IT( I REBUILT CARB AND REAREND....IT HAS SET FOR LAST 11 YEARS) BUT YES, ITS A GREAT OL GIRL, LOCIN HUBS YOU GET OUT TO LOCK IN ,GEAR TO GEAR... NOT ANY VACUME CRAP OR ELEC. STUFF, BUT GOTTA SAY I LOVE ANY FORD! CHECK OUT MY PHOTO ALBUMS... ID LOVE TO HEAR FROM ANYBODY!, HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND!!

Edited by zzrat, 22 May 2009 - 07:47 PM.

#2 lostin90s

lostin90s

old part is good part s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Interests:Wrecking yards , my kids , places with no cell phone service, and Centurion F150 crew cabs

Posted 20 May 2009 - 02:05 PM

There is a cable operated engagement kit for these for about $150 ish . Once installed just pull a knob under dash to engage 4x4. I been putting them in trucks for 4 years . No problems
Parts is parts

#3 94 f250 guru

94 f250 guru

It's Only Money, Right?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:I like to work on and upgrade my truck and my friends also. I enjoy working on diesels more due to my training. I am an avid outdoors man to include hunting fishing and just about anything else.
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1992

Posted 23 May 2009 - 08:45 AM

hey all, i got an 05 f-150 with 5.4 trition in it . first time i had any troubles out of it was about 2 mo. ago, i was on gravel road and hear awfull sound from under hood and looked at gauges and seen that the little wrench light was on, and engine dies and i turn key back and coast to a stop, and after i stopped it sounded like it threw a belt off and the pully was still spinning, then it quit after 3 or 4 seconds. so i got out and looked under hood and nothing was wrong anywhere. so i got back in and started it up and took off and its been just fine every since,,, well untill i used the 4 wheel drive on ice and snow we got. and now i can be driving down the hwy at any speed and it starts a grimnding noise in the front end, so bad you can feel it in the steering wheel. and i hafta slow down and when i get to a lower speed it sounds like its grinding to try to glock the front end in. and after i get so slow it makes a gut tighting KLUD!! sound and acts like the front end locked in. some times it does it and sometimes it wont. its happened as many as 5 times a day, to mayber 3 or 4 days. im thinkin its probley a sensor or something myself, but i dont know, was wondering if anyone else knows anything about it?? i would be thankfull for any help anyone can give....thank , bob.....i have found out from a ford mechanic that its my actuators in my front end....and its both sides thats bad. i can fix them myself but was wondering something that maybe someone can answer for me. i was lookin and i have 100,000 mile drivetrain warrenty......i was wondering if the actuators are part of the drivetrain since they are made into the front axle???..lol...yea im sure they arent, but was wondering if anybody knew for sure or not.....thanks again....bob...well to update this id hafta say that i found out that it was the I.W.E SOLINOID ON THE FIREWALL...16.00 AND NOT 110.00 APEACE FOR THE ACTUATORSAND ILL TELL YOU THAT THE PART # IS 6L3Z-9E441*A..THIS IS THE NEW PART #...THE OLD PART # IS 6L3Z-9H65*B AND I LOOKED THEM BOTH UP AND THE OLD PART # SHOWED UP AS A SOLINOID AND THE NEW ONE SHOWED UP AS A VALVE ASSEMBLEY...BUT IS WHAT YOU NEEDAND NEW ONE IS LIKE 16.00 AND THE OLD CRAPPY ONE IS 32.00...I DONT KNOW WHY BUT NEW ONE IS CHEAPER AND BETTER. THANKS FOR THE REPLY LOSTIN THE 90S, AND I CAN SAY TO UP DATE THIS PROBLEM THAT I DID ORDER NEW PART # AND PUT IT ON AND FIXED ALL MY PROBLEMS!!...YES VERY HAPPY NOW, BUT I CAN SAY THAT I DRIVE AND OLD 67 FORD EVERY DAY TO WORK AND MY OTHER NEW TOY IS MY DADS 79 BRONCO!! HE BOUGHT NEW AND NOW IM FIXEN TO START DRIVIN IT( I REBUILT CARB AND REAREND....IT HAS SET FOR LAST 11 YEARS) BUT YES, ITS A GREAT OL GIRL, LOCIN HUBS YOU GET OUT TO LOCK IN ,GEAR TO GEAR... NOT ANY VACUME CRAP OR ELEC. STUFF, BUT GOTTA SAY I LOVE ANY FORD! CHECK OUT MY PHOTO ALBUMS... ID LOVE TO HEAR FROM ANYBODY!, HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND!!

sounds like your actuator. they are not too pricy but can save you alot of repair work later on down the road if you dont get it fixed soon. it is usually located either on the transfer or the front axel depending on the transfer you have.
Stan Ouellette
a.k.a. 94 f250 guru

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users