1 reply to this topic

#1 JohnnyNash

JohnnyNash

F-Series Newbie

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1973

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:02 AM

Hello everyone, I am a newbie on here and I asked a question last week and got the exact answer I needed so hopefully someone else can help me with my current problem.

I have a 1973 F-100 with a 390 2bbl (actually my fathers). He does not driving it often, maybe about 50 miles a month if that much. The other day he went out to start it and it would crank over but would not start. We checked the gas and it has 1/2 tank. I put some gas in the carburator and it started up until the gas burned out. I did this several times and each time it would start right up but then die off when the gas burned out. I figured it was the fuel pump since it still has the orginal. I changed the fuel pump along with the gas line and the hose from the pump to the carb. I also changed the fuel filter at the carb. During this process he also changed the alternator (which was the cause of my other qeustion on here that was answered). New belts were added then attempted to start it. Nothing. It does the same as before. Will start with gas in the carb but then dies off. It seems the carb is not getting gas.
My question is, did I miss something? Could it be something else preventing it from starting. About to run it to a mechanic which I am sure it will cost several $100 to fix it. Hopefully someone can throw some suggestions up for me. Thanks for any help

PS. He last drove it about 7 weeks ago and it ran fine. Maybe a little sluggish but overall it ran normal.

#2 Old Ford Guy

Old Ford Guy

F-Series Newbie

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1978

Posted 22 July 2016 - 08:04 AM

It sound like perhaps the needle seat in the carburator might be stuck. The 2bbl carburators are pretty good and seldom give trouble, but with all the alcohol in the fuel today it is hard on rubber components. Sometimes if you can tap lightly right on the top of the carburator where the fuel inlet is with a small hammer or screwdriver it will knock it loose. If this fixes it and it persists, it might need a rebuild kit. I know it sounds kind of hokey? but sometimes it works.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users