1 reply to this topic

#1 79Crewcab

79Crewcab

Duck Tape L'fixer :)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:09 AM

Hi, I really need some help with this one. I have a 351W in a 79 F150 that I completely rebuilt with new pistons, cam, lifters, bearings, timing set, etc, etc. I can not get the hesitation out of the mid range. It is so bad that it will not rev beyond 2000rpm driving in any gear or even in neutral. I have tuned the carb(Carter AFB) repeatedly, changed the ignition components out(brain box, pickup, distributor, ign wire from switch, plugs, cap and rotor). I changed the carb to a Holly that works just fine on another 351. I re-torqued the aluminum intake twice after running it several times in-between. I checked compression and all are 120-121 across the board. Its getting plenty of fuel(new filters and I hooked a hose to fuel pump from a 5 gallon gas can just to be sure) Its the same with or without air filter in place. I have adjusted the timing from 2* to 18* with no change in the problem. I'm at my wits end here :blink: , the next step to me seems to be to pull the intake and heads and look for something not right. Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!
Go Big or Go Home
'79 Supercab 460 3" body, 6" suspention lift 38.5" Boggers Ox lockers Frt and Rr

#2 79Crewcab

79Crewcab

Duck Tape L'fixer :)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:45 PM

Well after a lot of trouble shooting I found the problem. The rebuilt distributor was some how wired wrong. I took a chance and swaped the wires and it runs like a champ now.
Go Big or Go Home
'79 Supercab 460 3" body, 6" suspention lift 38.5" Boggers Ox lockers Frt and Rr

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users