13 replies to this topic

#1 walkdawg

walkdawg

F-Series Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 12:04 PM

I was out at the beach today and my I could not get my Bronco to engage in 4-hi. I dugg into the sand fast with out 4 wheel. So needless to say I was stuck. I had to get pulled out. It feel like it is engaging in 4-low but I was so dug in that I could not get out alone. Any ideas????
89 Bronco 302 5.0L FI 33x12.5x15 tire. AOD, 3.55 gears slowly upgarding and restoring.

#2 Guest_FLYFSHIN_*

Guest_FLYFSHIN_*

Posted 28 May 2004 - 12:21 PM

Just a guess, but I would put my money on that it's not engaging in low either. The tires are probobly spinning slower, giving you a little better traction, making it feel like the 4x is engaged. I would bet that you smoked a hub, the same thing happened to me but in 2 feet of snow. If that's the case, I highly recommend ditching the auto hubs and going with the Warn Premium conversion kit. They are bulletproof and failsafe. Just remember to engage them BEFORE going bogging, or you'll be climbing out in muck. You may think I'm speaking from experience. I am :)

I got mine from broncograveyard for the best price I could find on the net, around 90 bucks. Wouldnt go back to auto lockers for anything.

#3 Broncoholics

Broncoholics

Broncoholics

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Interests:4-Wheeling!

Posted 28 May 2004 - 12:46 PM

I broke my auto hubs in my F350 the very first time I need it on a gravel road trying to park my flatbed trailer up on a 12" high berm. I used my 68 Bronco to pull the F350 and the flatbed up the hill to get it out of the way. The Warn conversion worked pro!

Do you know if the 4x4 shifter was engaged all the way? Sometimes you have to rock the truck back and forth or put it in nutral and get the pressure off the gears to be able to engage the 4-wheel drive. Once you are stuck in the sand or mud its tough to engage as there will be pressure on the gears. Drive it on some gravel and play with it. Have someone look at the axleshafts to see if they are turning up front. Once you know its not an axle and it is engaged take the hubs out and take a look.
Wheel it like you stole it!

#4 walkdawg

walkdawg

F-Series Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 01:49 PM

I have a 1989 Full Size Bronco, with 302 5.0L EFI AOD tranny 4speed auto, transaxle Warner 1345, Warn manual locking hubs. I had the hubs locked and the was in 4-hi thinking I would go through with little problem but the front wheels never even spun. Then I was stuck and when I put it in 4-low. It wouldnt go either. When I got out of the hole I was in I put it in 4 low and it seemed to be working for me. When I got out of the sand I tried 4 hi I didnt feel it was engaging at all. I hope this will help with the help.. Thanks for the help already and all further help.
89 Bronco 302 5.0L FI 33x12.5x15 tire. AOD, 3.55 gears slowly upgarding and restoring.

#5 sweepersrgr8

sweepersrgr8

"GET ER DONE"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 01:51 PM

Your '89 should have manual hubs.

Not knocking you, but were they locked.

You did say earlier that you were new to this.

Sometimes it's the little things.
1989 EB Bronco
351W HO EFI
3 Speed Auto

#6 walkdawg

walkdawg

F-Series Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 02:16 PM

You are right I am new to this but They was locked. I got out and locked them before I went into the sand. I was out there a months ago and I did not go out on the beach this time but Some else was stuck in the sand so I pulled them out and I had no problems. It might be me thats why I am asking what might cuase it. Or what could I do to check and see if it is working properly.

#7 sweepersrgr8

sweepersrgr8

"GET ER DONE"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 09:05 PM

with your hubs unlocked,and t-case in 2WD, you should be able to turn you front shaft by hand.

Lock the hubs, shift to 4WD, you should not be able to turn the front shaft by hand.

If this is the case, put the truck on jack stands, and make sure the front tires are spining. Or hit the mud, and watch for the rooster tails.

On my 89 I have put the tranny in neutral, shift to 4H or 4L, and while holding the shifter down, back up a little to release pressure on the T-Case.
1989 EB Bronco
351W HO EFI
3 Speed Auto

#8 Shadow_D

Shadow_D

F-Series Pimp

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1999

Posted 29 May 2004 - 05:11 AM

A problem I had last winter may or may not help you but I'll throw it out here.
When I put the truck in 4 High it would pop out from time to time and usually when it was in a bad location like pulling out on the road with traffic in the snow.
Turns out the ball cup and spring on the shifter was worn out so it would not quite lock in 4 High.
You might be having a similar problem with your shifter. Does it go straight back from 2wd to 4 low or will it follow the gate pattern I.E. back to stop (4 High) then you have to slide the shifter to the left and back to hit Neutral and 4 Low?

If you need to replace that ball cup and spring good luck, Ford discontinued that part. you will have to get under there with PB Blaster or some kind of penetrating lubricant and soak the heck out of the linkage till it frees up.
90 Bronco Full Size
Police Package
351W
E4OD
31" Tires
Going through a complete restore

http://fullsizebronc...ail.php?id=1650

#9 Guest_brenden84_*

Guest_brenden84_*

Posted 29 May 2004 - 11:57 PM

hey.
i think someone said this already but with the automatic locking hubs u haf to move forward for it to engage in 4. i was stuck on an incline in thick mud once and i was in 2wd. i couldnt get it into 4 cause my truck couldnt move so i was screwed. i agree with the manual hubs tho, i still have the automatics but ive only heard good things about the manuals. warn is the best is what ive heard. hope that helps.
brenden

#10 walkdawg

walkdawg

F-Series Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 01:03 PM

I did some inspecting of the hubs and everything everyone has told me to check. The only thing I have not done yet is throw it on jack stands. I went and played it some mud nothing deep enough that I would get stuck in. It works fine in 4 low. $ hi it would work but I think it is not engaging correcttly. Some times it jump out of 4hi.
Shadow D I believe I am having the same problem as you. I can go straight to 4 low with out following the pattern. I guess I will have to lube everything up and see what happens.
Thank you all for you help.

#11 walkdawg

walkdawg

F-Series Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 02:36 PM

okay I went ahead and did some more to check here is what I got. Finally just drop the rear drive shaft and to see if everything is working. I put it in 4 hi still nothing. I go to 4 low it moved and worked fine. So I go back to 4 hi just to see and it was moving. I was confused now so I put it back in 2 wd and it would not move. I shifted it back to 4hi nothing again. So I go back to 2wd then then go to n then back to 4 hi it worked but slipped out of 4 hi. So i put it back into 2wd and shift it back to 4low and it moves fine then I go to 4 hi and it move and stays. I guess in order for me to get it to work I will just have to engage 4 low then go to 4hi. I was just wondering if this was normal? If not what can I do to fix it? Thank you all for all your help. I am going to try it out soon as I can get someone to go along so if it gives me problems again I can get out.

#12 Shadow_D

Shadow_D

F-Series Pimp

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1999

Posted 31 May 2004 - 05:38 AM

Ok try to get that ball cup lubed up as much as possible and work the shifter left and right to get it so you can get it to follow the gate then try 4 Hi. You shouldn't have to go to 4 low then hi to get it to stay in 4 hi. After you get it free you may have to push the shifter to the right when putting it in 4 hi if the spring doesn't do it for you.
90 Bronco Full Size
Police Package
351W
E4OD
31" Tires
Going through a complete restore

http://fullsizebronc...ail.php?id=1650

#13 walkdawg

walkdawg

F-Series Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 01:15 PM

Shadow D where is the ball and spring exactly. Is it inside the trans axle or is it in the linkage. Thanks again

#14 walkdawg

walkdawg

F-Series Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 04:13 PM

I fixed it thanks to you all. I need to change the spring ball but it will do for now. I guess if they dont make that anymore I will have to make my own out of a bounce ball thats about all it is. I toke it over got into a mud hole that I could not get out of got out locked the hubs and got back in put it in N and throught into 4 hi and I came out and through mud all over my face from the rooster tail it made. I was so happy I did it a few more times. I guess if its nice I hit the beach. Thanks for all the help.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users