New Guy & Bronco Ii

10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_RammsteiNick_*

Guest_RammsteiNick_*

Posted 26 June 2004 - 10:04 AM

Hey,
My name is Nick, I am 17 yrs old and i just brought a 1988 Ford Bronco II, excelent condition, 53K original miles, standard transmition, and all that nice stuf. I wondering if anyone here knows where I can get cool stuff for my bronco. I want something that will give me extra hp, but wont guzzle gas too much. I don't know a lot about aftermarket performance, and i hope people here can help me out.
-Nick

#2 Guest_jfrbronco_*

Guest_jfrbronco_*

Posted 26 June 2004 - 10:20 AM

hi and welcome to the zone,horse power depends on how much money you want to spend.
JFR-

#3 Guest_RammsteiNick_*

Guest_RammsteiNick_*

Posted 27 June 2004 - 04:54 PM

hi and welcome to the zone,horse power depends on how much money you want to spend.
JFR-

I have 9K of expendeble cash, not a whole lot, but enough to do some upgrades.

#4 Ktomek06

Ktomek06

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Lifeguarding, my bronc, and a lot of other stuff.

Posted 27 June 2004 - 05:59 PM

w/ 9K, You can do a lot!!!!!

I would get a massive lift and tires and then go from there....

#5 Guest_DesertBronco_*

Guest_DesertBronco_*

Posted 27 June 2004 - 08:40 PM

Nick,

Welcome. Lots of folks on this site with lots of ideas to pick and choose from, as well as good resources on which sites/shops to buy and not to buy from.

If your goal is strictly power gains, the quickest (and usually cheapest, but not always) route is to get more air into and out of the powerplant. Intakes come in a wide variety of shapes, sizes, etc... the colder, fresher and larger volume of air you can get into the motor, the more power you can produce. Products like K&N filters do actually make a difference, as well as routing the intake external to the engine bay, such as a hood scoop or a feed tube that runs all the way up to the grille, or perhaps under the front fender (if not off-roading).

Some folks just change the intake, and that will make some difference, but not as much if you change the exhaust too. Larger diameter pipes from header to tailpipe not only help inprove the flow, but they will sound bad-ass too ("Loud pipes save lives"). Most exhaust notes are tunable as well. Adding in high-flow cat coverters (if needed) along with hi-flow mufflers are a sure bet to more power overrall.

One note of caution, with electronic fuel injected models, you may need to have a friend/pro check the fuel computer and possibly reprogram it to accomodate this increase in airflow. Not always the case, but something that can save you big $$ down the road. Speaking of which, most fuel computers can either be reprogrammed, or the chip swapped out for a different configuration. If you want/can spend a little more, some fuel computers can be adapted to a dash-mounted control console that you can pick which power curve you want at the push of a button (i.e., highway driving for max MPG, max hp/torque, towing, etc.).. I had a system like this on my old PowerStroke diesel and at the touch of a button I could go from the stock fuel program to max hp for pulling ... the difference on my F250 from min to max was almost 80HP(!) and an additional whopping 375ft/lbs of TQ (other additional modifications made that possible, but it was welcome and needed for the horsetrailer)..

Good luck!

#6 Ktomek06

Ktomek06

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Lifeguarding, my bronc, and a lot of other stuff.

Posted 28 June 2004 - 03:42 AM

nice post desert

#7 Guest_RammsteiNick_*

Guest_RammsteiNick_*

Posted 28 June 2004 - 09:22 AM

Thanks desertbronco! You answered alot of my questions, Intake and exhasut will be my first upgrades, because my current exhaust is no longer existant. I really apperecaite the help. Hopefully i can use that 9k entirly for my bronco, but then my band would be empty, so i will do the more expensive updates slower, so i can get the mony back from working.
-Nick

#8 Guest_RammsteiNick_*

Guest_RammsteiNick_*

Posted 28 June 2004 - 09:54 AM

If you want/can spend a little more, some fuel computers can be adapted to a dash-mounted control console that you can pick which power curve you want at the push of a button (i.e., highway driving for max MPG, max hp/torque, towing, etc.).. I had a system like this on my old PowerStroke diesel and at the touch of a button I could go from the stock fuel program to max hp for pulling ... the difference on my F250 from min to max was almost 80HP(!) and an additional whopping 375ft/lbs of TQ (other additional modifications made that possible, but it was welcome and needed for the horsetrailer)..

Good luck!

What would one of those computers be called? What are some pricing ranges? Where can i get them?
Thanks alot man!
-Nicck

#9 Guest_bronco831_*

Guest_bronco831_*

Posted 28 June 2004 - 12:59 PM

hey welcome!!!

#10 walkdawg

walkdawg

F-Series Maniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 06:57 PM

Welcome to the Zone!!
89 Bronco 302 5.0L FI 33x12.5x15 tire. AOD, 3.55 gears slowly upgarding and restoring.

#11 Guest_RammsteiNick_*

Guest_RammsteiNick_*

Posted 02 July 2004 - 07:18 AM

thanks and thanks

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users