Tailgate Window Problem

9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_buckin_bronc_*

Guest_buckin_bronc_*

Posted 04 July 2004 - 11:36 AM

Hi

My tailgate window will only go up or down when I connect the wires directly to the battery. Any info would be great thx

#2 brentusbrutus

brentusbrutus

It's Only Money, Right?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 July 2004 - 02:27 PM

I just finished making mine work..
Did you check your leads going to your motor?
I had a broken wire going to my window motor wires.

#3 Guest_buckin_bronc_*

Guest_buckin_bronc_*

Posted 04 July 2004 - 03:05 PM

I just finished making mine work..
Did you check your leads going to your motor?
I had a broken wire going to my window motor wires.

yes I did . I Replaced all the wiring in the tailgate.

#4 brentusbrutus

brentusbrutus

It's Only Money, Right?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 July 2004 - 03:17 PM

can you verify that you have power where your wires connect to your window motor?
Is your key on to accessory position at the ignition

Have you searched the forums for similar problems..

There are switches that over ride the window motor. For instance, if your tailgate window isn't closed all the way.
Is your key lock wire working, is there power to that. If you do a search in this forum, some one discusses how to bypass that switch. Right now my only way to open my window is from my dashboard switch. I have everything else bypassed.

Check your Fuses as well. Good Luck :)

#5 Seabronc

Seabronc

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 04 July 2004 - 04:52 PM

If I understand you correctly, you took a set of wires directly to the motor plug and it wouldn't move. If that is the case, then you have just isolated the problem to the motor. Aslong as you have made good contact the motor will move if it is good. connecting the leads one way should make it go down and reversing the connection should make it go up.

I just fixed my neighbors window and the problem was in the plug itself. We cut it off and replaced the plug. The motor works just fine now, it wouldn't move prior to replacing the plug so don't overlook that possibility.

I will scan in the circuit diagram for the motor control and attach it to the next post.

Good luck,

:)>-

"I know you think you know what I said, but what you need to know is, I did'nt say what I meant"

#6 Seabronc

Seabronc

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 04 July 2004 - 04:53 PM

OK I missread your post. Not the motor.

"I know you think you know what I said, but what you need to know is, I did'nt say what I meant"

#7 Seabronc

Seabronc

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 04 July 2004 - 05:29 PM

Ok sorry for that stupid response. I am attaching the Tailgate motor control diagram to this. One of the connectors that often fails due to corrosion is the one located on the left hand sideof the frame rear cross member(C123). The mid 80's trucks also have a connector behind the left tail light (C1907). I have seen both fail due to corrosion.

I wouldn't bypass the keyswitch on the tailgate since it is the least likely to fail. However the limit switch often fails an can be bypassed, it is on a lot of older trucks.

Good luck,

#8 Guest_buckin_bronc_*

Guest_buckin_bronc_*

Posted 04 July 2004 - 09:15 PM

thanks for the replies guys! will keep you posted on how it goes ;)

#9 Shadow_D

Shadow_D

F-Series Pimp

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Favorite F-Series Year?:1999

Posted 05 July 2004 - 08:02 AM

I am the one that brentusbrutus is talking about with the safety switch.
The post he is referring to is here...
http://broncozone.co...st=0

This is a problem I know a lot about as I have had nothing but problems with my tailgate window as has most every Bronco owner. Ford really boogered this one up.
I hope this helps.
90 Bronco Full Size
Police Package
351W
E4OD
31" Tires
Going through a complete restore

http://fullsizebronc...ail.php?id=1650

#10 Seabronc

Seabronc

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 03:00 PM

Bypassing the Tailgate limit switch isn't a big deal and a lot of trucks have them bypasses. That switch only prevents operating the window when the tailo gate is down. As far as I'm concerned bypassing it is a plus since it allows you to raise the window out of the way if you need to work on the inside of the tail gate such as getting at some of the connectors and components. You just need to be carefull not to put too much pressure on the glass when it is extended.

Good luck,

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users