Cooling My Az Bronco

9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_n2broncos_*

Guest_n2broncos_*

Posted 07 July 2004 - 06:14 PM

:)

Hi I'm new to this site and have a 94 Bronco that tends to run hot ( up to 3/4) w/ the A/C on and pulling a 4,000 lb trailer in the AZ sun. I've done the usual stuff, replace the thermostat, radiator cap, etc. & flushed the cooling system but it still runs hot. Not sure what core the stock radiator is but have been told that a 4 core would help.
Are there 4 cores available for my 351, w/ autotrans? Where should I look? Is this a good idea? Thanks for any help and ideas.....

#2 Seabronc

Seabronc

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 07:31 PM

I would suggest a transmission oil cooler and engine oil cooler. My truck use to run in mid range untill I installed a transmission oil cooler. It now runs about 1/4 up the scale. I haven't installed an engine oil cooler because I don't tow with it. So If you are in a hot climate I'd add them to a larger radiator.

Good luck,

:)>-

"I know you think you know what I said, but what you need to know is, I did'nt say what I meant"

#3 Justshootme84

Justshootme84

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • Interests:4wd trucks, hunting, fishing, music

Posted 07 July 2004 - 09:14 PM

Welcome to Bronco Zone!!! I replaced my stock radiator with a 4-core from an F-250 and have had no problems. Just be sure the tranny lines and everything fits, and get a failsafe thermostat. I run a 190 but plan to go to 160, that may be too low for you. You should also look into an aftermarket tranny cooler since you tow, as the stock unit is "borderline" effective.
1984 Bronco XLT, 351W H.O., C-6 AT, Ford 9", SkyJ 6" lift, 35" tires on MT Classic rims, S&W Racecars 10-pt cage kit, custom "shaker" assembly.
1988 Bronco Custom, 302 EFI, C-6 AT, Ford 8.8". parting out
1986 Bronco Custom, 300I-6, NP435

#4 sweepersrgr8

sweepersrgr8

"GET ER DONE"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 03:26 PM

Yeah, Pulling a 4000lb trailer, I would definately go with trans, oil coolers, and if you can find one, a 4 core. Talk to justshootme to see what mods if any he had to do to get the F250 radiator to fit. You will come out cheaper this way, my aluminum radiator cost $360.

My local Radiator Shop told me that a 4 core was not available for the Bronco, but got me an aluminum 2 core that is massive compared to the old brass 2 core. I had to shave 3/4" off the fan spacer to prevent interference, everything else bolted right up.

Before the change my Bronco was running around 180 with a 160 thermostat. I had to change the thermostat back to a 180 after the new radiator, and it still rarely opens unless I idle for long periods. 110 degrees here yesterday.
1989 EB Bronco
351W HO EFI
3 Speed Auto

#5 Guest_n2broncos_*

Guest_n2broncos_*

Posted 09 July 2004 - 12:59 AM

Hey, Thanks for all the ideas. :D

I'll look at retro-fiting a 4 core before spending $$$ on an aluminum radiator. Although it has the factory "tow package" I'll also check out the aftermarket trans coolers too. It has a stock oil cooler, are the aftermarket oil coolers much bigger or better?

#6 Seabronc

Seabronc

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 03:18 AM

Yes they are bigger and better. You might want to replace the stock transmission oil cooler with a aftermarket unit. Stop into Auto Zone and see what they have. Like I said, the one I installed (an aftermarket unit) reduced my normal run temp on the ford gague from mid scale to about 1/4 scale.

:)>-

"I know you think you know what I said, but what you need to know is, I did'nt say what I meant"

#7 Guest_Desert Donk_*

Guest_Desert Donk_*

Posted 09 July 2004 - 05:23 AM

I have a different engine, the 300 CID inline 6 on my '85 bronco, so this might not apply. But I do live here in Phx. A two weeks ago I replaced a 2 core old style radiator with a single core aluminum model with plastic tanks. On the hottest days it only goes up to the 1/4 range, not sure what temp that is but a dramatic improvement, even over that double core when it was new. I have heard numerous times that the new aluminum models (when you get a good one designed and manufactured properly) are much more efficient than the old style. I was told that instead of small (1 inch?) sections they are large sections, and that aluminum exchanges heat more quickly.

John

#8 Guest_n2broncos_*

Guest_n2broncos_*

Posted 12 July 2004 - 07:27 PM

OK I went to Auto Zone and Checker today and found that both have a 4 core radiator $260 to $350- that fits- per the sales guys. Also there's a Transmission cooler available for about $150. The Trans cooler seems expensive- I'll call around and see if I can find a better deal....... Desert Donk- how much and where did you get the Aluminum radiator?

#9 sweepersrgr8

sweepersrgr8

"GET ER DONE"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 03:38 PM

Yeah Man, $150 is way too much for a Trans cooler. I have a class 3+ that I bought from etrailers.com for $90. It is like a mini radiator, instead of the tube & fin design. Prices range from $30 to $150, but for $150 it better change my fluid also.

If you are hard up on cash, let us know. I have a few good ones on the shelf, as I am sure others here do also.

If you are willing to pay $350 for a radiator, I would go with the 2 core aluminum like mine. I don't know where the shop ordered it from, but it is a "TRUE-COOL" name brand. I never heard of them before, but the unit bolted right up, and is doing great. Like desert donk's it has plastic tanks.
1989 EB Bronco
351W HO EFI
3 Speed Auto

#10 Guest_Desert Donk_*

Guest_Desert Donk_*

Posted 15 July 2004 - 10:50 PM

OK I went to Auto Zone and Checker today and found that both have a 4 core radiator $260 to $350- that fits- per the sales guys. Also there's a Transmission cooler available for about $150. The Trans cooler seems expensive- I'll call around and see if I can find a better deal....... Desert Donk- how much and where did you get the Aluminum radiator?

A friend of mine has a son that is a Toyota mechanic. He ordered it for me as he gets parts at a deal. It cost me $170 but I don't know where he got it.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users