Rear Springs

7 replies to this topic

#1 fbrown3

fbrown3

F-Series Mechanic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:Hunting,Fishing and spending outdoor time with my boys, playing with the BII

Posted 21 July 2004 - 08:31 PM

Its me again Got a prob.,I didn't pay much attention at first but the rear of my 89 BII V6 is sitting a little low(about 2"). I don't know if the front springs have been replaced or not. Is this a common prob. with the BII's. I checked the springs and found no broken leafs. The springs look like they are almost flat. Help me if you can.

#2 Guest_billybroncojr_*

Guest_billybroncojr_*

Posted 01 September 2004 - 12:52 PM

Extremely common problem. I think all of them do it! JCWhitney sells replacements for under $200. If you are thinking of changing them, upgrade to Exploder leafs, they have a higher load rating so there shouldn't be any sag in the future. You may also check around about having them re-arched, the problem is it's almost as cheap to buy replacements.

Hope this helps!
Jeff

#3 fbrown3

fbrown3

F-Series Mechanic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:Hunting,Fishing and spending outdoor time with my boys, playing with the BII

Posted 15 September 2004 - 04:49 AM

Thanks for the info. I don't think re-arching is a choice, I have noticed that the second leaf of the spring is cutting into the first spring. The plastic/ rubber between them is no longer. This is now where the spring is starting to de-arc also(scary thought of what might be next). Can any one suggest what brand of bushings to use when I replace the springs?

#4 Guest_Blue_coyote_*

Guest_Blue_coyote_*

Posted 25 September 2004 - 09:02 PM

Just go to a wrecker and grab a set of springs out of a Ranger or Explorer and swap them in. Easiest solution..... :D

#5 fbrown3

fbrown3

F-Series Mechanic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 December 2004 - 06:20 PM

I was told that ranger springs won't work, I'm not sure.will they be too light or what. Is there a diff. in the width? If I have to add helpers thats not a prob. just want to make sure I am not wasting money for no reason if you know what I mean!!

#6 Guest_Blue_coyote_*

Guest_Blue_coyote_*

Posted 24 December 2004 - 10:17 PM

The Ranger springs will bolt in without any mods whatsoever. You may want to mix&match a few of the intermediate leafs from your old pack to adjust the ride and height, but that would be cosmetic. I ran 96 Ranger leafs in my 84 BII for a while at stock height, then rednecked up a 5" lift using leafs from a few packs I had laying around B)

#7 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*

Posted 25 December 2004 - 06:34 AM

Thanks a lot thats what I needed to hear! seen plenty of old rangers around. does it need to be same year or just length?

#8 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*

Posted 13 January 2005 - 09:52 PM

I found a set of leaf springs from a mid size ford truck will these work? I measured then and the only difference was about an inch from the center of the axle to the front bolt on the leaf spring. I know that it will sit higher due to the spring rating wich should cancel out the inch difference in length.I'm thinking(I know big trouble) since I always am carrying so much gear in the rear and pulling trailers that the lift I get should be ok or will it be way too stiff? Has anyone has done this before and will this work. Want to put a lift kit in any way and thought this would be a good start. I have almost 4 inches clearance from the front of the tire to the fender as it sits right now.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users