Back Window Wont Go Down On Own

9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_4x4tillidie_*

Guest_4x4tillidie_*

Posted 04 August 2004 - 01:23 PM

i just bought an 1986 bronco xlt and theres a couple of things wrong but one thing i just cant wrap me head around my back window

see i turn the key in the back of the tailgate and i can hear the motor working but only when i physically push the window down or pull it up then it moves

help please thanks

#2 Seabronc

Seabronc

F-Series Commander

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 03:21 PM

If the motor operates, it sounds like the gear that drives the regulator is bad. You can get a new gear fromJeff's Bronco graveyard.

Good luck,

:)>-

"I know you think you know what I said, but what you need to know is, I did'nt say what I meant"

#3 stinger

stinger

F-Series Mechanic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and 4 Wheeling

Posted 04 August 2004 - 03:26 PM

more than likely the transmission of the window motor crapped out. you can take the motor transmission apart and fix it with 6 1/4" nuts . after you take the plate off that is around the gear that drives the motor you need to clean out all of the broken plastic peices and you should be able to put 2 nuts stacked into each of the three openings. it will look kinda like a three leaf clover , fill with quality bearing grease and put back together. i did this to my 85 and the motor works the window just fine even though the track is kinda messed up on mine . if you have any questions just pm me and i will try and help ya out

#4 Guest_jfrbronco_*

Guest_jfrbronco_*

Posted 04 August 2004 - 09:50 PM

Stinger any pics?

#5 Guest_jfrbronco_*

Guest_jfrbronco_*

Posted 04 August 2004 - 09:52 PM

Mine does still work but has trouble going all the way up without help. any suggustions would be great! :)>-

#6 stinger

stinger

F-Series Mechanic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 01:18 AM

sorry i dont have any pics but will try to draw something up tonight when i get home from work , unless i get rained out then can start on it sooner

#7 Guest_jfrbronco_*

Guest_jfrbronco_*

Posted 05 August 2004 - 07:46 AM

thanks,

#8 stinger

stinger

F-Series Mechanic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 06:07 PM

Mine does still work but has trouble going all the way up without help. any suggustions would be great! :)>-

i also sometimes have to help my window up or down by shaking it around . the stupid track is a little messed up on mine and keeps breaking the rivits in the window track and gets caught on the wires. but the window motor has not broke again thanks to my fix. got home late will try and get some drawnings made and scanned the loaded onto the sight asap

#9 Guest_cowboydan_*

Guest_cowboydan_*

Posted 05 August 2004 - 07:53 PM

on my 87 i just rewired between the tailgate and the tail light. i found my tailgate pulling on the wire loom all the time works great now. even when wet

#10 stinger

stinger

F-Series Mechanic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 05:34 PM

hope this helps instructions are in my gallery in the comments of the pic and will also post in the how to articles

Posted Image

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users