Transfer Case Swap

1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_mcraesn_*

Guest_mcraesn_*

Posted 06 August 2004 - 09:08 PM

I have a 78 and I am going to swap the NP203 out with the NP205. Does anyone know if it is a direct swap or does the mounting points and transmission adapter have to be changed. Thanks

#2 davids78bronco

davids78bronco

fabricator extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • Interests:Work all day, and build Bronco accessories in my free time. I've built pre-runner and winch bumpers, rock sliders and rear bumpers, w/ or w/o tire carriers, as well as HD cargo racks (not the bolt-to-your-hardtop POS's)

Posted 11 August 2004 - 09:47 AM

There's more involved than just hoping it'll bolt up - which it does. The intermediate housing between the trans and Tcase, on a 203, is shorter than one for a 205. However, you can bolt the 205 onto the 203's intermediate housing, but be prepared for the following modifications:

- rear driveline needs to be lengthened
- front driveline needs to be shortened - don't ask how much for either one, because it'll be different for everyone
- If you have a C6 trans, and your front driveline uses a CV joint, then you'll need to trim the rear corner of the trans pan, to clear the joint. It can be done w/o any problems to the trans

I've done this, and haven't had a single problem with the swap, or any drivability problems since then

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users