Available Axles For '87 Bii?

5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_ninjairoc_*

Guest_ninjairoc_*

Posted 03 February 2004 - 07:47 PM

I have an '87 Bronco II XLT (2.9L V6, 5 Speed Manual tranny). I believe they came with Dana 28's with either 3.43,3.73, or 4.11 gear options. Eventually i'm going to be running 36-38" tires, and I figured i'd upgrade the axles first. What fullfloat axles are available for BII's? Can they be taken from other ford vehicles? I also plan on have locked differentials. Has anyone experienced this setup with the stock tranny and transfer case?

I just started wheeling last year, so i'm trying to learn all the available parts now and need some help, where to get axles and such. Thanx in advance.

#2 davids78bronco

davids78bronco

fabricator extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • Interests:Work all day, and build Bronco accessories in my free time. I've built pre-runner and winch bumpers, rock sliders and rear bumpers, w/ or w/o tire carriers, as well as HD cargo racks (not the bolt-to-your-hardtop POS's)

Posted 04 February 2004 - 09:09 AM

For all of the best answers on this, you might be best to head over to www.therangerstation.com and read EVERYTHING - their tech page, do exhaustive searches in their forums, THEN ask your questions. it can, and has, been done, it just takes some effort on your part

good luck

#3 Guest_ninjairoc_*

Guest_ninjairoc_*

Posted 04 February 2004 - 01:15 PM

Thank you for the direction! I'll definitely read up on everything cause I have the time to do it now before the summer.

#4 davids78bronco

davids78bronco

fabricator extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • Interests:Work all day, and build Bronco accessories in my free time. I've built pre-runner and winch bumpers, rock sliders and rear bumpers, w/ or w/o tire carriers, as well as HD cargo racks (not the bolt-to-your-hardtop POS's)

Posted 05 February 2004 - 08:21 AM

good luck.... if you think about it, be sure to let us know what you did. Perhaps we can add it to our own tech section

#5 Guest_Mud Blood and Tears_*

Guest_Mud Blood and Tears_*

Posted 08 February 2004 - 09:25 PM

My personal opinion, and I am no expert but I do not think that your factory Dana 28 (6 5/8 inch) axles are going to withstand the additional stress placed on them by upgrading your tire size. If you do any sort of off roading I would strongly suggest that you move up to a minimum of a Ford 8.8 inch axle but the tried, tested and true Ford 9 inch would be the best choice.

Since you are increasing your tire size, this ultimately reduces your drive train's gear ratio. For this reason I would recommend looking for a Ford 9 inch with a 4.56:1 gear ratio. This would allow you to keep a punchy low end despite your extra rubber. Looking for off road traction? A Limited Slip differential is certainly a wise choice over that of a full floater.

Just my $0.02.
Mud Blood and Tears

#6 Guest_Manimal_*

Guest_Manimal_*

Posted 02 April 2004 - 02:20 AM

Go with an 8.8 and a Dana 35 from any newer Ranger or Explorer. 90 B2s also have Dana35s, but retain the 7.5" rear. IMO a 9" is overkill, but if you want to go for it, go for it.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users